Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hsbc card limit ?

tag
treschic
Frequent Contributor

hsbc card limit ?

i have a hsbc credit card, and am considering getting an orchard card. i'm wondering, if i would also like to get an hsbc backed store card in the near future (ie best buy or other stores), will the 2 card limit prohibit me from being approved for the store card, if i already had 2 of there cc?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hsbc card limit ?

angiepharm wrote:
i have a hsbc credit card, and am considering getting an orchard card. i'm wondering, if i would also like to get an hsbc backed store card in the near future (ie best buy or other stores), will the 2 card limit prohibit me from being approved for the store card, if i already had 2 of there cc?

Yes, it will prevent you from being approved.  You'll also get a hard inquiry for your trouble because the system seems to pull your report before it checks to see if you have any existing HSBC cards.  Isn't that nice?

Also, the limit is now one card, not two.  If you found the "two card" limit online, it's probably because their site hasn't been updated to reflect to the new rule, although it's been a long time since it went into effect.

Look for posts by member sleigh17 last year and you can see how he went round and round with HSBC about this.

Edited to add: Here's sleigh's thread from last August:

Message Edited by cheddar on 02-22-2008 11:37 AM
Message 2 of 12
treschic
Frequent Contributor

thanks

Message 3 of 12
dangphuocloc72
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Happy I just applied Best buy and approve for 2k , spend 1500 just 2 weeks  they already report to 3 CRAs , Will it hurt me ?  and also My house why are they so long for report ?
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

angie, I have both an HSBC M.C. and a BB store card. My cl with HSBC was $400 when I applied for the BB store card, and BB approved me for $2,500 cl. 0% for 90 days on my Christmas shopping. Was a godsend for me. Get flyers in the email all the time about special promotions.

A good card to have imo.
Message 5 of 12
heirophant
Established Contributor

I know it says earlier in the post that you can only have one card and that that rule had been in place for a while, like August.  But I wanted to let you guys know that when I got my second HSBC card was in October of last year.  It came pre-approved.  If you get a pre-approved offer, the limit that it lists on the back of the offer is always going to be 2 as I have also been offered additional Orchard Cards and HSBC cards.  Of course, I have since cancelled my Orchard card.  My HSBC card has no AF.

If you don't get a pre-approved offer, the limit seems to be one.   Hope that helps.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

heirophant wrote:
I know it says earlier in the post that you can only have one card and that that rule had been in place for a while, like August.  But I wanted to let you guys know that when I got my second HSBC card was in October of last year.  It came pre-approved.  If you get a pre-approved offer, the limit that it lists on the back of the offer is always going to be 2 as I have also been offered additional Orchard Cards and HSBC cards.  Of course, I have since cancelled my Orchard card.  My HSBC card has no AF.

If you don't get a pre-approved offer, the limit seems to be one.   Hope that helps.

Yep, good point that I failed to mention.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would also like to get an hsbc backed store card in the near future (ie best buy or other stores), will the 2 card limit prohibit me from being approved for the store card, if i already had 2 of there cc?

I believe the question is a HSBC backed STORE CARD.  I am fairly new at the boards and have never heard about the limits. 

All I know is I have an HSBC backed store card ($800 CL) from a clothing store about 3 years ago and I already had a regular HSBC cc from 2001 ($1000 CL). 

Then in Nov. I got my 3rd HSBC store card at a home improvement store ($1500 CL) and in

Jan this year got my 4th HSBC backed store card at a Pet store ($2900 CL). 

So, it there is a limit with the HSBC STORE cards, this is news to me! 
Message 8 of 12
rubaty
Frequent Contributor

I have an Orchard bank MC from 2001, got a BestBuy store card in 2004 and the GM Flexcard in december.  My experience is that HSBC is stingy with their MC CL's($2.5K & $2K) but very generous with the store cards ($7.2K).

edit: I didn't get a preapproval offer in the post, just went online and applied for the Flexcard.

Message Edited by rubaty on 02-23-2008 07:42 AM

Current Score: EX 772 EQ 777 TU 783 15 Jan 17
Goal Score: 815 across the board by Jan 18

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
tknkrov
Contributor

I have HSBC MC, Best Buy, Furniture Row, and Nautilus (bow flex) all HSBC. I think the 2 card rule might be for their cc's not store cards but I could be wrong.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.