Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hypothetical situation question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

hypothetical situation question

Let's say I ate at a restaurant and didn't fill out the tip and total for the bill, but I signed it, and some worker there decided to fill in those sections without my knowledge. Would I do a chargeback in this case? I just thought about it because I usually never put anything in the tip or total section.

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: hypothetical situation question

That has happened to me twice. The second time the waitress added a second zero to the tip making it 100.00. Both times I was notified and it was corrected without any effort on my part.

Message 2 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should add that since that happened I make sure all fields are filled in on the ticket now.

Message 3 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

You were notified because the tip was a bit too high, you think? How were you alerted, etc? thanks!

does anyone know what to be done if the problem hadn't corrected itself?

Message 4 of 47
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I actually had a similar scenario happen very recently when ordering pizza. For whatever reason, there was a tip line at a place that one wouldn't normally tip at, which I routinely put a line through. Some dishonest worker added an amount on top of the cost of the pizza and probably thought I wouldn't notice when the transaction posted. I didn't request to have the full charge reversed. I only submitted a request for the overage, which Chase promptly refunded to my card without any further questions.

When dining, I usually take a snap of the copy of the receipt that I have to leave behind after I sign it and determine the tip amount (if any) if the bill is high enough. I've heard enough stories of unscrupulous waiters and waitresses.

Message 5 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

I actually had a similar scenario happen very recently when ordering pizza. For whatever reason, there was a tip line at a place that one wouldn't normally tip at, which I routinely put a line through. Some dishonest worker added an amount on top of the cost of the pizza and probably thought I wouldn't notice when the transaction posted. I didn't request to have the full charge reversed. I only submitted a request for the overage, which Chase promptly refunded to my card without any further questions.

When dining, I usually take a snap of the copy of the receipt that I have to leave behind after I sign it and determine the tip amount (if any) if the bill is high enough. I've heard enough stories of unscrupulous waiters and waitresses.

How come you didn't just dispute the entire bill? Just curious. Is it a much longer process if the entire bill is disputed?

Message 6 of 47
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

How come you didn't just dispute the entire bill? Just curious. Is it a much longer process if the entire bill is disputed?

Because I'm not that kind of person. If I consume a product, I pay for it; and that is irrespective of whatever else goes on. If I had a problem with the food itself, then I probably would've explored that route. Usually, I reserve that for truly fraudulent and unauthorized charges that I had nothing to do with though. 

But yes, usually a full on dispute requires an investigation that can take some time. 

Message 7 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Because I'm not that kind of person. If I consume a product, I pay for it; and that is irrespective of whatever else goes on. If I had a problem with the food itself, then I probably would've explored that route. Usually, I reserve that for truly fraudulent and unauthorized charges that I had nothing to do with though. 

But yes, usually a full on dispute requires an investigation that can take some time. 

Whoever is doing this is quite stupid as unlike the past, consumers are getting reported either by email or SMS what is being charged on their credit card. Steal a few bucks, lose your job. 

Message 8 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently I was out dinning and we had phenomenal service and I left a larger than normal tip, when the restaurant processed the final charge I received an email from Cap1 notifying me of the tip because it was larger than the average percentage and wanted verify that that was indeed the tip I left which it was.

Whenever I fill out and sign a sales receipt I always put a line after the amount to prevent anyone from adding numbers.
Message 9 of 47
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Good practice to do that.^ kinda like filling out a check. Gotta make sure to use the whole space and not leave room for someone to get cute.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.