Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hypothetical situation question

tag
kuku4koco
Frequent Contributor

Re: hypothetical situation question

They are only supposed to charge for the bill.... even without a signature.  Say you left a tip in the tip line... but failed to sign... they can't take the tip... only the amount for the bill.

EQ: 731 TU: 705 EX: 715

Cap1 QS: 9k USBank: 7k Amex BCE: 14.1k BoA: 8k Discover: 4.4k CareCredit: 12k *Various Store Cards: 18.7k
Message 41 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still relatively new to the credit card world and I'd never thought of these kind of situations before. some good advice here.

Message 42 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

is there an official guide somewhere on the internet that teaches us how to notate things on a receipt that will help prevent most of these waitstaff undesirable tactics?

I dunno? But my momma' taught me a trick and I've never been scammed. I always write the tip, and total in. Then by my signature, I write in the total again and circle it.

That's a good habit to have. I may start doing it myself.

Message 43 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sharingan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know of three resaturant chains here in New England that have started using Ziosks. I can pay right at the table with tip and get a printed and/or emailed receipt. Server never touches my card. I love them as they can also send requests for the server, reorder drinks and even order desserts.

ziosk.jpg

I've seen these contraptions at the Chili's locations around here, and I think they are absolutely disgusting! The amount of grease and food remnants left on them from previous guests was enough to keep me from using them. I would also be less inclined to leave a generous tip if I have to input my own orders and refills. 

Regardless, I do agree that they alleviate concerns over dishonest staff as it relates to payment. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with amoral staff on very many occasions.

Though, I am typically opposed to any devices that are meant to reduce a workforce (like self-checkouts).

OMG!!! I agree with you infinity and beyond. Ugh! I get skeeved out just thinking about it. Not to mention that some people don't like to wash their hands anymore when dining out. Yuck!Smiley Frustrated

Message 44 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know of three resaturant chains here in New England that have started using Ziosks. I can pay right at the table with tip and get a printed and/or emailed receipt. Server never touches my card. I love them as they can also send requests for the server, reorder drinks and even order desserts.

ziosk.jpg

Yeah....olive garden has these! Crazy. I remember the first time I saw these...i seriously thought three quarters of the restaurant was streaming netflix on a tablet at first lol.

Message 45 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

is there an official guide somewhere on the internet that teaches us how to notate things on a receipt that will help prevent most of these waitstaff undesirable tactics?

I dunno? But my momma' taught me a trick and I've never been scammed. I always write the tip, and total in. Then by my signature, I write in the total again and circle it.

I'm going to start doing this too. Thanks for your insight, jfriend33!

Message 46 of 47
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

Yeah usually, if it's bad service or paying the tip in cash, then I write zero with a line. Otherwise if I leave a large tip, then capital one sends me a email notifying me of a larger tip than normal. Which I love!!!

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.