Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i HATE Cap One

tag
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

Re: i HATE Cap One

update time:

Since Miner and DrinkDontDrive explained to me that Cap One segments their cards I went out on a limb and applied for another card with them.  Hoping it would be in a better tier than the one I have.

After all I have a 6 month old car loan with them and of course this crappy 4 year old card.

Well, I got that good old, "you will get a letter within x days, blah blah"

Well, lo and behold, today I have a letter from them that states, "In order to continue processing your application, we need verification of the following additional info: SS# and mailing address"

Okay, so I have an auto and CC with them already but they needed to verify me?

My EQ report still has a fraud statement from 2002, I'm guessing that's why.

I don't plan on using this dang card (except to maybe xfer bal from bofA)  but it will help my overall util to lower.

Wish me luck.

Message 11 of 25
score_building
Senior Contributor

Super GL! i'm hoping to maybe app. and combine next year.  hope you keep the best/longest terms/ history, make sure you do if possible. 
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Miner - I completely agree.

I have a $12,000 Citi card and Capital One wouldn't increase my $500 limit. Unfortunately it is by far my longest account so I am keeping it open. Now I just pay my $29/year fee for the card and leave it in the drawer.

I hate Capital One and will never use them for any type of financing.

Jonny

Wow, I would tell them to drop the annual fee after you don't use their card even for months. 

Message 13 of 25
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

I mailed proof of SS and address to Cap One 10 days ago and no update, so I called them today, and guess what?  They recieved/processed my proof of info today. 

So the CSR tells me that I will either recieve a card or denial letter in another 10 days. 

I wonder if that was her nice way of saying, "you are getting a denial letter but I don't want you to complain to me about it so I will let you keep your hopes up."  LOL  I hope not.

I have an auto loan with them from Feb 2008 and I was 18 days late in Sept.....I hope that doesn't hurt my chances of getting this card.  I am planning on doing a bal xfer (if I can) from an existing account to help my util.  I will cut up the card as soon as I get it. 

For the next 10 days I am going to pray every time I go to the mail box.

Message 14 of 25
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

@scottie_mommy wrote:

I mailed proof of SS and address to Cap One 10 days ago and no update, so I called them today, and guess what?  They recieved/processed my proof of info today. 

So the CSR tells me that I will either recieve a card or denial letter in another 10 days. 

I wonder if that was her nice way of saying, "you are getting a denial letter but I don't want you to complain to me about it so I will let you keep your hopes up."  LOL  I hope not.

I have an auto loan with them from Feb 2008 and I was 18 days late in Sept.....I hope that doesn't hurt my chances of getting this card.  I am planning on doing a bal xfer (if I can) from an existing account to help my util.  I will cut up the card as soon as I get it. 

For the next 10 days I am going to pray every time I go to the mail box.

Ugh! A recent late. If it was not reported on your CBR's app for a credit card elsewhere. Unfortunately CapOne will know about ALL internal lates including those not reported on your CBR's.

The absolute shame of CapOne's policy of not updating cards as your situation improves is the three hard inquiries you are saddled with when you re-app. That's just not right!

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

>>> I bet you, that if you applied for a new account in a higher credit category they'd give you a new card with a much higher CL.  <<<

Yes you are likely correct, I called and asked a CapOne CR about lowering the interest rate on my C1 cards and she matter of factly said the only way I could get a lower interest rate was to apply for a new card.

Message 16 of 25
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

I have almost always had to get an account supervisor to get any love from Cap1. The first line CSRs are there to say "no"
Message 17 of 25
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

OMG!!!!!

I got approved!

New Cap One card with a cute little ladybug on it.....CL of $1000.  WooHoo!!!!

Hopefully in 6 months to a year I can combine and get rid of that darn 4 year old $500 CL card.

I'm soo happy!!!!!!

I take it back....I don't hate them.  Until they hit me with a fee or CLD then I will go back to hating them.  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 25
scottie_mommy
Regular Contributor

@scottie_mommy wrote:

OMG!!!!!

I got approved!

New Cap One card with a cute little ladybug on it.....CL of $1000.  WooHoo!!!!

Hopefully in 6 months to a year I can combine and get rid of that darn 4 year old $500 CL card.

I'm soo happy!!!!!!

I take it back....I don't hate them.  Until they hit me with a fee or CLD then I will go back to hating them.  Smiley Wink

Just activated the card....$39 annual fee.....of course.  oh well, can't win them all

Message 19 of 25
upinflagstaff
Frequent Contributor

Keep the account in good standing and the month before the AF hits, call and ask them to waive it. Waiving a Cap1 AF can only be done in a window that runs something like a month before the date and slightly after. Beware of having a balance at this time as they will post it and then credit it. Having a balance that you are paying interest on will add the AF to the balance that your interest is charged against so it's best to be at $0 prior to the AF. Of course if you PIF each month the caviat does not apply. Smiley Wink
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.