Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i don't understand about chase or PIF

tag
JustinNguyen
Contributor

i don't understand about chase or PIF

I PIF 2 weeks before due day but they still charge interest on it?

09/18/201309/18/2013 FeePURCHASE INTEREST CHARGE$16.09

09/07/201309/08/2013 PaymentPayment Thank You - Web-$4,444.46

09/03/201309/04/2013 SaleSTREET AND TRAIL MOTORSPO$3,187.33

Can someone explain for me what can i do to avoid interest?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: i don't understand about chase or PIF

It's not just Chase.

Did you PIF for the prior statement as well?  If carry a balance then interest will be charged on purchases in the new billing cycle starting on the date each purchase is made.  PIF on the next billing cycle and you'll avoid interest.

Message 2 of 10
JustinNguyen
Contributor

I Did. I called chase and they told me, when i PIF and re-used again i have to PIF again before statement cut off.  i learned now Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

Chase has something they used called average daily balance or something like that, I have seen intrest on my card as well even if I pay in full before dure date

Message 4 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

Wow. I did not know you got hit with interest on purchases made at the time of purchase in new billing cycle if you carried balance over. Even more of a reason to not carry a balance.
;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 10
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Ok....I'm confused. I have the freedom card and am still in the 0% interest promo. That will end in November. So, if I charge items through the month and pif before the statement cuts, I will still be charged interest for the days I ran a balance even though it's in the same month?
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 6 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

@snowkitty wrote:
Ok....I'm confused. I have the freedom card and am still in the 0% interest promo. That will end in November. So, if I charge items through the month and pif before the statement cuts, I will still be charged interest for the days I ran a balance even though it's in the same month?

There is a grace period so I do not think you will have intrest

Message 7 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Look at the T&C. Usually the grace period is 30 days, but it can also be as short as 21 days. As long as you pay by the grace period, you will not be charged interests.

The last day of the grace period is usually your due date most of the time. If you are paying from a non-chase bank account, you have to make sure the payment posts on that day to be on the safe side, which means you might have to pay a few days earlier, depending on how long it takes for your bank to clear that payment.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 10
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:
Wow. I did not know you got hit with interest on purchases made at the time of purchase in new billing cycle if you carried balance over. Even more of a reason to not carry a balance.

Oh yes, that's a particularly nasty one, a double whammy so to speak. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JustinNguyen wrote:

I Did. I called chase and they told me, when i PIF and re-used again i have to PIF again before statement cut off.  i learned now Smiley Very Happy

Not quite sure what you mean.   Is it just:

Start out at 0 balance on this and previous cycle:

I spend $X on purchases

A few days later I pay $X

I spend $Y more

Statement closes.

In this case you will of course pay interest because you didn't really PIF (you would have needed to pay X+Y).   However if the order is:

I spend $X on purchaes

A few days later I pay $X

Statement closes

I spend $Y

there won't be interest if you pay the full balance (which will include Y) on the next statement by the due date.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.