Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i feel bad

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i feel bad

For the first time i had trouble with cash back crediting properly to upromise, i am on the phone with someone who presumably makes less in a week than the cash back in am trying to reconcile.....29.58

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: i feel bad

I don't think you should feel bad in this case, but I do think some people need to remember that when you call and complain about more petty types of things, you are talking to a real person, who likely makes very little money, and likely is worn down from being yelled at all day. Don't make their lives worse by being a PITA about everything.

OP, you aren't a PITA for this -- but some people call for the most ridiculous and miniscle of things, where really, do you need to bother them? Having a reputation as a PITA customer is not a good thing. If someone is a pain, they are less likely to be helped out -- that's just the truth. I'm in customer service. If a customer is rude and demanding and annoying, they are way less likely to be given something vs. someone who is polite and understands you're going out of your way to accomodate them and appreciates it.

I fully support calling because of a legit issue like yours, OP. Some people call over the silliest of things though, or the online chat, again it's still a person. No need to be condescending or rude. If they cannot help you, simply ask for a supervisor (politely) and go from there!

Think of it as the difference between calling and saying "refund my AF because I don't want to pay it because I'm special" vs. "I understand the AF is charged for a reason. I am evaluating if the card works for me. Are you able to credit a portion of the AF? If not, it's not big deal and I appreciate the benefits of the card" or something like that.

I think, and this is kind of a tangent, but as a country, the US has gotten really rude with customer service people. Whether it's at a retail cash register, in a restaurant, whatever -- you have to remember -- the person serving you is a person too. There is no need to be rude and nasty when someone is just doing their job. Throwing money at me when I ring you out? You know damn well I will make sure to be as annoying as possible back! This is a tangent and nothing to do with the OP's action, but people need to remember: flies with honey. Come on. Nobody's gonna bend over backwards for you just because you are being a toolbag. (And if they are, they will make sure you are noted as a terrible customer).  Be nice.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Think of it as the difference between calling and saying "refund my AF because I don't want to pay it because I'm special" vs. "I understand the AF is charged for a reason. I am evaluating if the card works for me. Are you able to credit a portion of the AF? If not, it's not big deal and I appreciate the benefits of the card" or something like that.

I like the second approach even if I feel like the first one.

"Do you know who I am?!"

Message 3 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

"Do you know who I am?!"

Oh, I feel FSR phobia coming on.   I prefer:

"Look, I didn't make you take the job in Customer Service.  Your choice.   I DID make the choice to get this card and I expect excellent service right now.    If you are mentally incapable, or untrained, or merely too lazy, connect me NOW with someone who can at least make an attempt to give me the service your company has promised.  Hurry up."

Works every time!  Or so I am told.....

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

"Do you know who I am?!"

"Look, I didn't make you take the job in Customer Service.  Your choice.   I DID make the choice to get this card and I expect excellent service right now.    If you are mentally incapable, or untrained, or merely too lazy, connect me NOW with someone who can at least make an attempt to give me the service your company has promised.  Hurry up."

LOL.

Message 5 of 18
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i try to be nice to people....point in case last night i really wanted a starbucks drink from a gas station, there were none in the customer area

the clerk volunteered to go get me one from the cooler

to reward him i bought 2 five dollar scratch off tickets andgave him one, they are not allowed to accept cash

Message 6 of 18
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I don't think you should feel bad in this case, but I do think some people need to remember that when you call and complain about more petty types of things, you are talking to a real person, who likely makes very little money, and likely is worn down from being yelled at all day. Don't make their lives worse by being a PITA about everything.

OP, you aren't a PITA for this -- but some people call for the most ridiculous and miniscle of things, where really, do you need to bother them? Having a reputation as a PITA customer is not a good thing. If someone is a pain, they are less likely to be helped out -- that's just the truth. I'm in customer service. If a customer is rude and demanding and annoying, they are way less likely to be given something vs. someone who is polite and understands you're going out of your way to accomodate them and appreciates it.

I fully support calling because of a legit issue like yours, OP. Some people call over the silliest of things though, or the online chat, again it's still a person. No need to be condescending or rude. If they cannot help you, simply ask for a supervisor (politely) and go from there!

I think, and this is kind of a tangent, but as a country, the US has gotten really rude with customer service people. Whether it's at a retail cash register, in a restaurant, whatever -- you have to remember -- the person serving you is a person too. There is no need to be rude and nasty when someone is just doing their job. Throwing money at me when I ring you out? You know damn well I will make sure to be as annoying as possible back! This is a tangent and nothing to do with the OP's action, but people need to remember: flies with honey. Come on. Nobody's gonna bend over backwards for you just because you are being a toolbag. (And if they are, they will make sure you are noted as a terrible customer).  Be nice.

Don't get me wrong here but I'm not sure where the OP said they were being a PITA. Sure, they most likely are talking to someone with not-so-good English who makes very little but if for whatever reason, the request isn't going through, just ask for a US-based CSR (and if that doesn't work, talk to the US-based CSR's supervisor). 

I totally agree with your rant of course; I've worked in customer service my whole career (I was a teacher for 5 years as well...and trust me, dealing with parents is customer service!!). I had to bold that line about throwing money; when I worked at Target, my coworkers would complain about people throwing money on the counter -- I liked that!! I always got stuck with the people who would put money (and coupons) on the BELT...and lalala lo-and-behold, the money gets stuck in the belt!! I once had to have my coworker take the whole machine apart to get this woman's $20 bill out. Seriously, you can't put it on the counter??

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 7 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

"Do you know who I am?!"

LOL, Love this!

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@juggalo9er wrote:

i try to be nice to people....point in case last night i really wanted a starbucks drink from a gas station, there were none in the customer area

to reward him i bought 2 five dollar scratch off tickets andgave him one, they are not allowed to accept cash

Would be SO mad if the clerk got the big winner. Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 18
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

Would be SO mad if the clerk got the big winner. Smiley Indifferent

thats what i was hoping for

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.