Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i messed up pretty bad!!! AKA CC debt

tag
Credit_
Established Member

i messed up pretty bad!!! AKA CC debt

Hello all! The past couple of months ive been spending like crazy on cc cards, now i'm in 20,000 in debt. What should i do ?

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: i messed up pretty bad!!! AKA CC debt

Cut up your ccs

Take a look at how much you bring in a month; after subtracting housing, utilities and basic phone, see how much you have left. Allot 10% of that to food (depending on the amount you can even trim it down further if you like but Cheerios + rice + buying your own veggies to steam is GREAT for your budget AND you'll look awesome after this).

Whatever is left, look at your cc, whichever has the highest APR, pay that down aggressively while making minimum or more on the other cc.

Learn how to love watching repeated news stories.
Learn how to love playing free online games
Finding free e-books to read
Free online courses to take

Go wander to museums on the free days.

Take up running.

Pay down the CCs and celebrate everytime the balance gets smaller. Think of it as pounds you're trimming away.

And for everything that is good and true, do NOT request the cc companies to issue you another cc. Make sure you cut them up good too.

Best of luck to you, so much easier said than done I would imagine. I know I get scared everytime my cc balance reaches over a certain $ or my bank account dips below $$$
Message 2 of 51
Credit_
Established Member

should i even think of debt consildation loan?

Message 3 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Spending like crazy"

Are these necessary purchases, bills, groceries, etc? Gifts for others? Just random stuff?

I assume this isn't something you can very easily pay back since you use the word "debt". If they're necessary purchases, I think it might be a good time to re-evaluate what you actually "need". If these are random items I would suggest returning as much as possible and putting your cards on ice and hash out a plan to handle the situation. 

Of course, maybe this is something that you can afford, but just don't like your current spend habits. In either of these cases, it would be good to maybe take a break from buying, and figure a budget that would allow you to pay down the debt.

Message 4 of 51
Credit_
Established Member

thank you for the feed back.

Message 5 of 51
Credit_
Established Member

some bills, fixing cars, just bad spending at the wrong time, i just dont want to mess up and miss a payment. im current and all of my cards, but its gonna be awhile til i can breathe again. thank you

Message 6 of 51
core
Valued Contributor

Fixing cars?  I'm assuming you mean mechanics bills, because I can't think of many parts that would cost anything near that amount of money unless you drive something exotic.  Even with mechanic's labor, that's still a sizeable amount.  I'm inclined to go with the standard Dave Ramsey advise:  Sell the cars and "get you a beater".

Message 7 of 51
Credit_
Established Member

transmision work, and a rebuilt tran. civic, bmw.

Message 8 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a car lover and DIY mechanic, I can say repairs can get expensive. Especially transmissions. 20k though? 

Thankfully, there's many knowledgeable people on this board with great advice. That said, I'm really hoping everything works out for you. Please, hang in there.

Message 9 of 51
Credit_
Established Member

add 3 vacations in the begining of the year.  Should i look into a debt consolidation loan?

Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.