Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i need a zapper...

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: i need a zapper...

@afbar1114 wrote:

my computer need to zap me when ever i think about apping..i havent yet but i want to i need to learn not to keep applying for cards for six months so i can get a good prime card with a good CL

Whenever you think about apping for something, post about it over in the Garden Club thread. We'll be happy to zap you! Smiley Wink

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 15
pkhuu78
Contributor

sounds like a good idea Tinuviel...I will definately do that..

......NPSL.........14.5 K............30 K..........20 K.........10 K...............8 K.............7.5 K..........
Message 12 of 15
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Whenever I get that urge to apply for something (knowing it's a pretty good chance it won't approve anyway, but there's always that "they might" thing);  I just look at my reports and look at what my recent approvals have done to my AAoA and my score, as well as how soon I'll be back down under 5 inq's per report (7 on  EX is my highest). It also reminds me I have the cards I have now because I wanted 0% for a while and with that came a price, which was a lower score for a while due to util, and the likelihood I'd be declined some things if I applied, so applying can wait.  So I remind myself I'd be adding an INQ  for a decline.

The easiest thing I can do to avoid "dinging" my report, is to not add INQ's, otherwise it's spotless.  I figure if I added enough INQ's it could add up to the equal the ding of a 30 day late. That really helps avoiding the app monkey lol.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 13 of 15
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Whenever I get that urge to apply for something (knowing it's a pretty good chance it won't approve anyway, but there's always that "they might" thing);  I just look at my reports and look at what my recent approvals have done to my AAoA and my score, as well as how soon I'll be back down under 5 inq's per report (7 on  EX is my highest). It also reminds me I have the cards I have now because I wanted 0% for a while and with that came a price, which was a lower score for a while due to util, and the likelihood I'd be declined some things if I applied, so applying can wait.  So I remind myself I'd be adding an INQ  for a decline.

The easiest thing I can do to avoid "dinging" my report, is to not add INQ's, otherwise it's spotless.  I figure if I added enough INQ's it could add up to the equal the ding of a 30 day late. That really helps avoiding the app monkey lol.

It could a bunch at once could cause a drop of 30 points. That's for like 8 INQs all at once.

The thing is, after a couple of months the damage mostly goes away and after a year it's gone completely in terms of hurting your score.

If you get approved you COULD find yourself with a higher score despite the INQs. I app'd for a bunch of cards all at once recently, all were approved, and even with the INQs my score went up due to the approvals and using the revolving credit. Once the INQs filter out, should be even better.

Not trying to say INQs are good or anything...just that they aren't necessarily the worst thing in the world.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 14 of 15
namvet
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

my computer need to zap me when ever i think about apping..i havent yet but i want to i need to learn not to keep applying for cards for six months so i can get a good prime card with a good CL

Just keep in mind that the more you app, the more declines you will recieve for recent INQ's. Try to focus on 1 card every 6 months.  +1    The secret to success

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.