Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i want to join navy federal c.u.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

i want to join navy federal c.u.

Hi all, I am trying to get any info on nfcu.i am thinking a secured card from them would be a nice step in the right direction.can anyone join? do i have to have a checking act with them. any and all help would be great.
by the way my scores are
eq-635 tu-604 ex-524
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: i want to join navy federal c.u.

cartercorp wrote:
Hi all, I am trying to get any info on nfcu.i am thinking a secured card from them would be a nice step in the right direction.can anyone join? do i have to have a checking act with them. any and all help would be great.
by the way my scores are
eq-635 tu-604 ex-524

Welcome to the FICO Forums, cartercorp.

NFCU is a wonderful CU.  There are many great stories about them on these forums.

Many CUs will allow anyone to join as long as you join a qualifying affiliated organization.  Unfortunately, NFCU is not one of them.  In order to join NFCU, you need to have a bona fide Navy or other DoD connection.

With any CU, you are not required to have a checking account, but you are required to become a member by opening a share account, which is essentially a savings account, with a nominal deposit.  Most of the national CUs don't require more than $5 or so in your share account to maintain membership.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks cheddar, i will be giving this a shot
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

cartercorp wrote:
Thanks cheddar, i will be giving this a shot

Do you have a Navy or DoD connection?

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work for Navy Federal Credit Union and we recently expanded our membership to the entire Department of Defense: Navy, Marines, Army, Air Force. This also applies to officer candidates in such academies as the Annapolis Naval Academy, West Point, etc. Membership also includes pretty much any directly related family members including spouses, children (blood or adopted), parents, grandchildren, grandparents, siblings. If you don't fall into any of these categories, you are also eligible if you live in the same house as a member and they vouch for you. Best of luck, they're a great place to work and a great place to be a member.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will they do a hard pull upon joining like Penfed does? 
Message 6 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I joined there was no hard pulls. When I applied for a CC and LOC they harded EQ.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I joined there was no hard pulls. When I applied for a CC and LOC they harded EQ.

Thanks for the info. 
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

great, but don't think just because your w-2 says "defense finance and accounting service agent for dhhs you qual for membership". not that i'm bitter about it.
Message 9 of 12
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

Not much.

How does HHS relate to DoD? Or did I miss something.

How about taking in a homeless Marine for a month and app'ing that way...
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.