Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ikea will no longer have a credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ikea will no longer have a credit card

went to ikea and tried to use my credit card yesterday and was told that they are discontinuing their credit card in either april or may. i was pissed because my credit card was declined and when i called i was told that they have already started closing the cards. i never recieved a letter or anything and i had a credit limit of almost 2000 dollars this is really going make my overall util go up. has anyone else had this problem?  

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
kysin2014
Contributor

Re: ikea will no longer have a credit card

I can't find anything online that states that Ikea is discoontinuning their credit card except in the UK.  But, nothing for the US.  Is this kept top secret right now?? 

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" height="50" border="0" >Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 769
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 13
kysin2014
Contributor

Here is a link from an Ikea store in Houston, TX telling the truth about how they are no longer accepting applications for the IKEA credit card; and how current IKEA credit card customers will only be able to use their credit card until May 8, 2011. 

This is very concerning news.  Would I be correct in saying so that if current credit card customers who do not currently close out their IKEA credit card with GE Money will suffer having GE Money close it out on them with their IKEA credit card account showing "Account closed per subscriber" instead of just closing it out yourself and having it report "Account closed by consumer reported by subscriber" ????   Please any comments or advice is much appreciated.

src="http://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png" height="50" border="0" >Starting Score: 620

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jinswaz wrote:

Here is a link from an Ikea store in Houston, TX telling the truth about how they are no longer accepting applications for the IKEA credit card; and how current IKEA credit card customers will only be able to use their credit card until May 8, 2011. 

This is very concerning news.  Would I be correct in saying so that if current credit card customers who do not currently close out their IKEA credit card with GE Money will suffer having GE Money close it out on them with their IKEA credit card account showing "Account closed per subscriber" instead of just closing it out yourself and having it report "Account closed by consumer reported by subscriber" ????   Please any comments or advice is much appreciated.

Aw, be happy.  It doesn't matter if the account is closed by consumer or by credit grantor.

FICO doesn't care.  Even on manual reviews, this has never ever been an issue for me or for other folks posting on this board.

For those concerned with losing that CL, or the account itself - at least this gives a heads-up so you can find another suitable account and/or replace the CL.

I love IKEA.  Just thinking about them makes me want to drive the 45 minutes and pick up a yummy hazelnut chocolate bar.  Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 13
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

PenFed complained about an account I had that was closed by grantor.

But you would expect that from them :-) 

Everyone has Pyramiding Debt too!

@Anonymous wrote:

@jinswaz wrote:

Aw, be happy.  It doesn't matter if the account is closed by consumer or by credit grantor.

FICO doesn't care.  Even on manual reviews, this has never ever been an issue for me or for other folks posting on this board.

For those concerned with losing that CL, or the account itself - at least this gives a heads-up so you can find another suitable account and/or replace the CL.

I love IKEA.  Just thinking about them makes me want to drive the 45 minutes and pick up a yummy hazelnut chocolate bar.  Smiley Tongue

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex Biz Plat/BBC/BCP/Schwab/Plat/Gold, NFCU Flagship/Plat, Spark Biz, PenFed, CSR, and more
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@700orbust wrote:

PenFed complained about an account I had that was closed by grantor.

But you would expect that from them :-) 

Everyone has Pyramiding Debt too!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 13
kysin2014
Contributor

It sounds like I have nothing to lose to close out the IKEA credit card account; especially since my limit is only $200 and the acct. has only been opened for a year.  Any thoughts?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably a fine plan.

How will it affect your utilization?  If it has an impact, you can always correct it by paying down to the utilization you want to have.

And what other revolving accounts do you currently have open?

Message 8 of 13
kysin2014
Contributor

Here is the link from the Ikea store in Houston, TX : http://www.ikeahouston.com/store-information-houston-texas 

They are the only store that I can see that is actually postins something about the Ikea credit card no longer being accept in May 2011.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Came across this thread with the same issue as you; I was in Ikea this weekend in the Conshohocken area (outside of Philly); and swiped and declined; I didn't want to hold up the line so just paid with my debit card; but i'm a little dissapointed that no communication effort was made to inform me of this.

I have to admit I only used the card maybe twice a year, but I always liked taking advantage of their special APRs for my larger purchases Smiley Sad Oh well. I'm more curiuos as to why this happened, it would seem to me not offering a card would affect customers buying from them (it certainly will make me think twice as I prefer using store cards over my regular credit card because of the generally favorable terms on store cards.)

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.