Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

impulse.

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: impulse.

I have the Open Road card and love it!

I've made 2 purchases with it so far: a dvd at BestBuy that I bought from ShopDiscover.com and simply went to the store and picked it up, and a fill up at a gas station. With those 2 purchases I have already racked up $5 in cash back.

Make sure to check shopdiscover.com. They actually have good merchants there with 5-10 percent back. I live within half a mile of Best Buy, so I simply order through shopdiscover.com with in store pickup as the option to rack up 5 percent every time.
Here we go again...
Message 11 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

FretlessMayhem wrote:
I have the Open Road card and love it!

I've made 2 purchases with it so far: a dvd at BestBuy that I bought from ShopDiscover.com and simply went to the store and picked it up, and a fill up at a gas station. With those 2 purchases I have already racked up $5 in cash back.

Make sure to check shopdiscover.com. They actually have good merchants there with 5-10 percent back. I live within half a mile of Best Buy, so I simply order through shopdiscover.com with in store pickup as the option to rack up 5 percent every time.

Nice! You've read my mind. I was just saying to BF the other day that Best Buy and Circuit City let you order online and pick up in store, so that would be great! I am happy to hear they are on the list. Can't wait to get my card so I can log in to the shopdiscover site. If you aren't logged in, you can't really see much! Smiley Mad
Message 12 of 55
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Discover will hold a grudge if you've burned them, but they are not anywhere near as finicky about how you handle your cards.  As long as you don't get into trouble, they don't care if you carry a balance, of course you need to pay above the minimum.  Don't let the balance just simmer for years, that will get any CCC mad at you.

And you'll be pleased to know that Circuit City is also on shopdiscover.com  I think they offer a 5% back, I dont remember.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

thrasher865 wrote:
Discover will hold a grudge if you've burned them, but they are not anywhere near as finicky about how you handle your cards.  As long as you don't get into trouble, they don't care if you carry a balance, of course you need to pay above the minimum.  Don't let the balance just simmer for years, that will get any CCC mad at you.

And you'll be pleased to know that Circuit City is also on shopdiscover.com  I think they offer a 5% back, I dont remember.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll be in good shape. During the month I run a lot through my cards, but always PIF, or like i said a portion may accidentally report, but next month PIF.  Oooh, CC and BB on the site, wait till I tell dear BF.  He's a computer geek and also into the big fancy TV's and all that stuff. Hehe. I must confess I do love blu-ray movies!
Message 14 of 55
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I wish I knew about cash back on CCs when I bought my $1600 tv last year at CC.  I could have saved $80!

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

We did the SAME thing a little less than 2 years ago. Don't feel bad!
Message 16 of 55
heirophant
Established Contributor

landocalrissian wrote:
Also bear in mind that this is a DISCOVER card.  For some of us, this is a difficult card to acquire.  I cant get one right now and I had one way back in college that I screwed up.  That one was paid off by my mom.  Please, keep this card clean.  In all seriousness.

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 07-23-2008 08:19 AM

Same story here.  I had a Discover in college and defaulted on it.  I loved that card...and they were so nice in every letter they sent trying to collect on it.  But seriously, don't mess up with discover because it has been 4 years and they denied me last year.  I want it back bad!
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 17 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.S. 
To the OP, they report FAST. I apped on Saturday and just found the card reported on experian already. I haven't even received it yet!
Message 18 of 55
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow! I have an update. Doesn't look good.

Ok last night when I applied spontaneously, I got a "Congratulations! You have been approved for a Discover Open Road. You will receive the card within the next ten business day" blah blah.

And then I checked my e-mail today...

This e-mail is to confirm that your application for the Discover® Open Road Card was received on July 23, 2008. Please allow up to 30 days for your application to be processed.

Note: If you did not make this request, please contact us at 1-800-347-3072 between 9:00 am to 9:00 pm Eastern Time. For general questions about your Discover Card application, please contact us at 1-800-DISCOVER (1-800-347-2683). Our Customer Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you

Does that mean they changed their minds and the instant approval and decided to obtain further information about me?

That would suck royally that I got approved for an AMEX Blue Cash but not a Discover. I was really looking forward the 5% rebate on gas. Smiley Sad
Message 19 of 55
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Probably two different message systems going.

You might want to call them, in case they have a question about something on your reports (address, etc.) Discover CSR's are very knowledgeable and courteous.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.