Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

in a big pickle

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

in a big pickle

last year in inquiered a lot of credit card debt. around 14k  most of it is in 0% apr on my discover card. the other balances im paying off "quick to not do another balance transfer. 

my question is. is it better to get a loan from a lender like payoff or prosper. and pay them all.

and then make them just one payment  ?

a little bit of a stressful situation. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: in a big pickle

Can you list a break down of the debt on each card?  Has the 0% expired?  If it has, then it is a good decision to make one payment by just getting a loan and paying the cards off.  

OR,

Correct me If I wrong but if I remember your posts, you had quite a bit of money in a Wells Fargo account and wanted to buy land or something?  If you still have the money, don't take a loan to pay of the debt instead use the money you have.  You don't want to roll a debt into another debt.

Message 2 of 9
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry to hear you incurred so much credit card debt. As far as whether or not you're better off taking out a loan, it'll depend on several different factors. You should ask yourself the following questions:

-When does your 0% APR end?

-Then what interest rate(s) will you be looking at?

-How much are you able to pay each month toward your debt?

-Thus, how long after the 0% APR ends do you expect to have to keep paying before you're paid off?

-What interest rate do you think you could get with a loan?

-Would your loan have other fees like an origination fee? Or a pre-payment fee if you can wrap things up quickly?

-Why are you in debt? Is there a risk you'll just wind up running up the cards again?

You can run these numbers to see which option saves you the most money.

Of course there may be other options that you should run the numbers for, like a balance transfer card or a personal loan from a friend or family member. You may also be able to find other ways of increasing your income/assets like taking on a second job, freelancing, selling something, or simply liquidating a savings account or something. All these options come with 'opportunity costs' but they're certainly worth considering before you make your final decision.

Anyway, best of luck :-)

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi Yes-its-me I will list them when im out of work. 

most of the money i have went into a land i purchased and im finishing the house to sell.

all of the 0% intros i have dont expire until the end of 2016. which i can later move to my boa travel rewards.

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you list a break down of the debt on each card?  Has the 0% expired?  If it has, then it is a good decision to make one payment by just getting a loan and paying the cards off.  

OR,

Correct me If I wrong but if I remember your posts, you had quite a bit of money in a Wells Fargo account and wanted to buy land or something?  If you still have the money, don't take a loan to pay of the debt instead use the money you have.  You don't want to roll a debt into another debt.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i will look into the numbers . ive been looking into different lending websites and getting all the info.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

most of the money i have went into a land i purchased and im finishing the house to sell.

all of the 0% intros i have dont expire until the end of 2016. which i can later move to my boa travel rewards.

If I may gently inquire, did the 0% go into helping finish the house to sell?  Are the cards completely maxed out?  If not, you do have time to pay it off and the way I see it, alot can be achieved in 24 hours and much much more in 11 months and 11 months is what you have.

Now if the money did go towards finishing the house, then there is another option for you to explore.

Message 6 of 9
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OR,

That's a nice longish time horizon. If the payments are manageable and your credit isn't being adversely affected in the meantime, maybe you can just focus on paying down as much as possible for the next 9 or 10 months and then see where you are. You'd still have a couple of months to get the loan or a balance transfer if you needed, and perhaps if you can sell the house/property you'll be able to get out from under quickly. I'm definitely not saying just forget about it and put it off, but it does give you a long time to figure out a plan.

Personally I'd determine what the absolute maximum I can consistently make in payments toward the debt is, commit to doing that, and then work out how much will be left remaining when the 0% is up. Then crunch the numbers on your options.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

last year in inquiered a lot of credit card debt. around 14k  most of it is in 0% apr on my discover card. the other balances im paying off "quick to not do another balance transfer. 

my question is. is it better to get a loan from a lender like payoff or prosper. and pay them all.

and then make them just one payment  ?

a little bit of a stressful situation. 

If it were me, I would debt shuffle to one of your cards that does not have a BT fee, and then move it right back to the discover at 0%.  Then focus on paying it down asap.

Message 8 of 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

From reading your post, most of the debt is on your Discover card? When you have time to post the other cards balances and quantity of cards then it would be easier. 

If I had 14k in debt and say 10k was on one card and the other 4 spread out, I would work to pay down the smaller card debts while still paying as much as i could to the big balance monthly. 

Propser loans I dont have experience with, I've soft pulled their site before to see what it would say and always denies me. 

but I have taken out a loan with Avant before, I got their great rate of 36%, which is LOW compared to time I took one out in college for 1300 dollars and the interest rate was 80%. but the second loan was larger and I slowly but quickly racked up balances on the cards again. So for a minute I had to deal with more debt and accuring heavy interest rate debt when I could have just not taken out that loan and realized the quick fix to what I wanted, actually cost me a lot of $$$$$$$. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.