Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inactive credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

inactive credit cards

I have 2 credit cards that have no  balance. Is it bad to have credit cards open when no activity is being done on those cards?  I have 2 that I just don't use and was considering close at least one of them but I know that closing credit cards are bad for your credit. Since it's bad to close them, is it also bad to just keep them open without using them?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DI
Super Contributor

Re: inactive credit cards

Charge your next gas purchase and meal with the cards to keep them from closing.  Or buy Halloween candy for the neighborhood kids. 
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 4 credit cards in total and 2 of them I already use for gas or groceries. One of the 2 credit cards that I don't use is for car for bridgestone tires which is something I can't use daily. the other one is a target card that was cut from $1000 to $500.
Message 3 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

Target cut me down to $1000 from $1500.  I got upset and told them to reduce it to $500.  I hardly ever use it.  I now charge my rental insurance to the card. It's my oldest card.  Had it since 10/2000.  Is the Target card a store card or credit card?  Target is unlikely to close it too quickly.  
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

it's a target credit card and had it since 04. I was thinking of just closing it since it's only 500 dollars. But I kind of want to close the bridgestone card because it can only be used at one place but I've had it since 02.  I'm torn. That's why i was wondering instead of closing either, could I just keep it open without any activity? my question is, is no activity with no balance bad for the credit score?
Message 5 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

Keep both cards.  I have a Sears store card that I only used to buy new tires with...so its rarely used.  I've only used it once so far.  It has a $3600 CL.  Keep the Target card too.  You can charge your smallest monthly bill to it.  Those are very old cards that's helping yourFICO scores.  If you close them, they will only report for another 10 years if that long. 
Message 6 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
it's a target credit card and had it since 04. I was thinking of just closing it since it's only 500 dollars. But I kind of want to close the bridgestone card because it can only be used at one place but I've had it since 02.  I'm torn. That's why i was wondering instead of closing either, could I just keep it open without any activity? my question is, is no activity with no balance bad for the credit score?

As long as you have other revolving credit tradelines your scores are not being affected.  Not using the card is only a problem with the creditor that issued it, because they may decide to close it for inactivity.   I wouldn't worry about the Bridgestone card.  

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the helpful information! i think I will keep the cards and just use it here and there. Thanks again!
Message 8 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

You welcome.  By the way...Welcome to the Forum. 
Message 9 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Assuming both cards are store cards (no MC/Visa logo):

Keep both open. Try to use the Target card once every six month and pay it off. Don't worry about the Bridgestone card - use it if/when you have to. No need to close the accounts. They are not hurting you.

If a revolving TL remains unreported for six months or longer it becomes dormant. Dormant accounts are removed from the UTIL equation. That doesn't hurt you any more than closing the accounts would. It just doesn't help you.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.