Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inflating my rating.....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

inflating my rating.....

hello my names eric, ive been working hard on my credit rating the last 3 months , and have gotted it up from a starting point of 482 to the present 556, most of it has just been disputing everything on my reports, my ex report started with 14 baddies, and now down to 8( still working on the others) and 6 of those are medical bill from something that never happened to me, and im trying to fix,

at 556ish rating of credit karma i was wondering what i should do to try to up the rating, i presently have no CC accounts, i make very good money, but i have tryed to apply for 1 card last month but was denided, and have stopped cause of the inquiries i know hurt my rateing , 

from playing with my numbers, ive seen my score jump about 20 points if i can get 1 card, and i only expect to get 3 max

are there any card i can get with my limit with out giving a secured payment ?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: inflating my rating.....

You should try a secured card. If you are a member of a CU or if you can become a member of a CU (many good ones mentioned here or check out ncua.org for independant reviews) I would tell you to get a secured CC with them and BofA is pretty decent with their secured CC's. You did mention you make good money and putting down $$ for a secured CC shudnt be a prob. Just be responsible and PIF EVERYTIME and do this CONSISTENTLY AND DILIGENTLY over a year and after this helping your scores alot, you should be good to go and graduate to unsecured with the same financial institutions (meanwhile you would have built a r/ship with them)
Message 2 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I absolutely hate them but if you don't want to do the secured route which I'm not sure why you wouldn't if you have money to do it... First Premier is probably your only option right now and it will virtually cost you more than a secured card and you won't get the money back like a secured card. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

my dad had a secure one but thay charged him alot of money on stuff everytime he used it

Message 4 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

did he have a secured card or a pre-paid card?

Secured cards usually have an annual fee, but no other fees 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

it was a secured card he paid 300 deposit, and the first charge he mad was for $15.97 and it showed up and a charge for 23 dollars
Message 6 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

well I can't speculate on why that happened, but that's not because it's a secured card. and a secured card has all the insurance coverages that a regular credit card have for your protection against fraud charges, etc.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok another question.... whats with the macy's card ppl are getting? and target....are these easy to get?

Message 8 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

they are easy, but not sure either would give you card until you have at least 1 other credit card and your closer to the 600 range
Message 9 of 12
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Try BofA for a secured card. A secured card that will convert is an excellent strategy.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.