Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interesting letter from GEMB yesterday

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

interesting letter from GEMB yesterday

I had applied for an Amazon store card back in Jan or Feb of this year, right before my scores shot up and was denied. I also applied for American Eagle card back in 2010 also a denial.  Yesterday I got a two letters from GEMB saying I may have been given incorrect information when i was initially turned down and they encouraged me to reapply.  Both letters were the same but were for different store cards at different times. Now I wonder if because I have built up my scores and have since gotten a walmart card if now they want my business with the other stores.  Should I re-apply for the amazon store card?? I wonder if they only let you in once you already got in with another GEMB product.  Any thoughts??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: interesting letter from GEMB yesterday

Can you afford the HP?

Do you really really want the cards?

Only you can answer those questions.

My experience has been that I've never been turned down for a GE card, even when my scores were in the pits.   Probably because I've had a JCPenney card through them since 2003, always in good standing. I think they take your prior / current card behavior with them into consideration when deciding whether to approve. 

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

with a daughter in college, the amazon card would come in handy for buying books, etc.  Not sure if i should pull the trigger yet.

Message 3 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

I am wondering if GE sometimes uses there iternal systems more than pulling fresh reports each time, sounds like they have changed that though

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just noticed that now i can use my Discover More rewards to shop on amazon also. not bad.

Message 5 of 6
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I've got the Amazon Visa by Chase and the GECRB Amazon.  I've only used the GE version once, I actually applied for it after receiving the 7-10 day message for the Visa version.. The GE version was auto approval.  The visa was initially denied, but I was able to be approved after recon. 

I can see value in both of the cards, the Amazon version will be great for 0% interest for 6 months on purchases $149 and up.

The Visa version is awesome, 3% back for Amazon purchase, 2% for Gas, restaurants, and drugstores, 1% everything else.  No rotating catagories.

I do 75% of my retail shopping through amazon, and I have a Prime account, so the items are usually there within a couple of days. For me, its just a good fit. I can add an item to my cart, and build up a "grocery list" so to speak, without having to go to the store and purchase that item. Once I have 2-3 items in the cart, its time to check out, super easy to do from Kindle.

Also, my books for kindle are really really cheap, if not free. And they take up NO ROOM.  I've always had a book collection totalling over 100 books..  It was always a hassle to rotate out the titles that I had already read and to go shopping for new books.  I ended up donating my entire paperback collection to GW and Salvation Army, and starting getting books from Kindle. They can stay on my cloud after I'm done reading them. The free classics are also great. I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin, and it was free Smiley Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.