Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

international travel with CC

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: international travel with CC

@CreditScholar wrote:

I always carry the 4 I have in my sig when travelling internationally. I could probably get away with 3, but I wouldn't take any fewer than that just in case.

In what scenario would you need more than 2 cards? I'm interested in hearing different perspectives. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 20
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I always carry the 4 I have in my sig when travelling internationally. I could probably get away with 3, but I wouldn't take any fewer than that just in case.

In what scenario would you need more than 2 cards? I'm interested in hearing different perspectives. Smiley Happy

Here is an example for you based on a true story:

I took my Mom and Sister to Thailand. While there my sister was involved in a terrible accident. Her emergency care and hospital treatment had to be paid in full before they would release her passport. 

*8/10/13
Message 12 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I always carry 5 cards...

Amazon pays for Sushi at Sushi train.  Discover pays for Dollar General purchases and Sams Club purchases + the occassional stop at the local smoke shop. Amex pays for everything. Amex Lowes stays in either my wallet or DH wallet.  Usually his because he is taking care of biz for me while I'm at work. NFCU in case I need to buy a new car while I'm out shopping Smiley Surprised  Actually NFCU stays home about half the time.  When I travel out of state I bring Amex, Discover, and the Visa

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 20
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@s_rob7488 wrote:
One for daily use, rest in hotel? Ill have some cash as needed with me and pry DL and thats it. Maybe debit card if i need more cash. Any tips for my trip? Going to london for the heck of it.

I'm moving to London for the summer, I can't wait.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 14 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Sure, I'll offer 2 scenerios.

After I meet my 10k annual spend for the JPM ritz, the only cards I use on a daily basis are my CSP and United Club. CSP gets all travel, dining and UR purchases and the United Club gets everything else. These would be my "essential two". A couple of scenerios though for carrying more when overseas:

* A few months ago we landed in BKK at around 3 AM. The THAI business lounges didn't open until 5:30 AM, and we didn't want to be stuck in the terminal for 2.5 hours. We used the JPM RC card to gain access to an independent lounge through the Lounge Club benefit.

* If something happens with a bank or there are network issues, it's always good to keep another card handy from a different lender. If my Chase cards suddenly stopped working for whatever reason, I could still use my BofA card in an emergency. This reasoning could also apply if you're carrying Amex cards and get hit by a FR unexpectedly, etc.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

@dodfire wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

I took my Mom and Sister to Thailand. While there my sister was involved in a terrible accident. Her emergency care and hospital treatment had to be paid in full before they would release her passport. 

In that scenario, would it suffice to carry a card with a really high limit, say 25k limit, or NPSL/flexible spending card?

Message 16 of 20
SCoach
Established Member

Kinda what I was thinking.  My AmEx Plat and CSP.

I could pay for a private jet home if need be on the AmEx, and the CSP in case someone doesn't take AmEx.  Of course, cash as it's place as well.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx Gold | AmEx Bluebird | CSP | Chase Freedom
Message 17 of 20
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

That would be awesome. School? Work? My wife has been but I have not an am really looking forward to it! We leave tomorrow evening. 

Message 18 of 20
elpo9
Regular Contributor

I'll be going abroad soon, and like most other posters, intend to bring all my cards for extra safety (more chances to access cash as needed).

PROTIP: Write down the international support number located on the back of each card, and put that paper/iPad note/etc somewhere safe while you travel. Never know when you'll need to confirm a denied transaction, cancel a lost card, order a replacement, etc. Enjoy your trip!

NFCU (7000) | Freedom Visa (2400) | DM (2500) | AMEX Plat (7000) | Amazon.com (1800) | GapCard ($750) | Closed: Barclays (1500) | Cap1 ($750) | BoA 1-2-3 Rewards (2500) | Gardening til mid-autumn 2015 for that Delta Platinum AMEX

Starting Score: 608 (2015) 702 (2012), 653 (2011)
Current Score: 685 699 8/6/11 717 8/30/11 712 12/6/11 714 across the board 1/12/12 685 EX FICO 3/1/14
2018 Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 20
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@dodfire wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

In that scenario, would it suffice to carry a card with a really high limit, say 25k limit, or NPSL/flexible spending card?

HiLine - In this scenario it cost me about $15k. So, I would suggest having a minimum of $20k - $25k available for emergencies. I learned the hard way that they do not accept any type of insurance from the USA or Travel insurance. It was a "pay for it now" and work it out with your insurance company later.

*8/10/13
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.