Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is 33% util on Navy card to hi for CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

is 33% util on Navy card to hi for CLI?

I'm seeking information for a relative who is a new member at Navy FCU.  Her 3rd statement was recently generated for her Navy credit card.  When she was approved for the card 3 months ago, they gave her a great interest rate and a $15,000 limit.  Because the interest rate was the best she has ever had and because she was given a high limit, she transferred $7000 to the card from her other non-Navy credit cards.  She has now paid her Navy balance down to $5000 and her credit report continues to have no derogatives. Will having 1/3 of her limit as her balance prevent her from getting a CLI?  She does not want to charge more but wants a higher limit for a better utilization amount on the account.  Thanks for your responses!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: is 33% util on Navy card to hi for CLI?

I don't think it will prevent her, but after a $15k SL the CLI might not be all that much.

I feel like the huge CLIs come when Navy is testing you with a low SL. (Case in point, I went from $1k to $20k after 90 days)

I think when you start out higher, the CLIs tend to be lower.

They supposedly do an internal account review the beginning of every odd numbered month, which would mean one is coming in Sept. I'd wait until the second week of September and then hit the button. If she makes another decent payment between now and then, I think it might also look good to them that she transferred $7k but has paid off $2500 or $3k or whatever of it in such a short time.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does the rest of her utilization look like?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't think it will prevent her, but after a $15k SL the CLI might not be all that much.

I feel like the huge CLIs come when Navy is testing you with a low SL. (Case in point, I went from $1k to $20k after 90 days)

I think when you start out higher, the CLIs tend to be lower.

They supposedly do an internal account review the beginning of every odd numbered month, which would mean one is coming in Sept. I'd wait until the second week of September and then hit the button. If she makes another decent payment between now and then, I think it might also look good to them that she transferred $7k but has paid off $2500 or $3k or whatever of it in such a short time.

I did not think about that! Good point!!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The 3 cards she transferred from are at zero balance with limits around $5000.  Her only other card is Walmart with a 30% utilization.  I have advised her over and over again to stop using that interest retail card.  However, she loves wally world!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know there hit friendly my gf is coming up on 91 days with her card and wonder if they will do a inquiry for a cli on it
Message 6 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I know there hit friendly my gf is coming up on 91 days with her card and wonder if they will do a inquiry for a cli on it

I waited until 6 months. Requested maximum increase. They did a HP and increased me from $24k to $25k.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The 3 cards she transferred from are at zero balance with limits around $5000.  Her only other card is Walmart with a 30% utilization.  I have advised her over and over again to stop using that interest retail card.  However, she loves wally world!

I use wally a lot and it is always 0%. Maybe she carries a barcode for financing like me.   :]

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.