cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is citi diamond preferred a good card to have?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

is citi diamond preferred a good card to have?

i got a pre selected mailer with a specific apr (which is high) for citi diomond preferred. i dont plan to apply for this card now since my AAOA is short and i will garden for another 5 months atleast.  I am just curious about this card from citi. Is this a good card to have? and what can be the starting SL for someone with 40000 annual income?  are there any chances of me getting double cash offer from citi in a few months  ? my fico are currently ex-685, tu-686, eq 665 . i dont have any baddies or collections. my credit history is new.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: is citi diamond preferred a good card to have?

Probably their worse card IMO.  If you want a card with Citi then apply for the one that you want vs. what they are offering you.  Just just apply due to being pre-qualified for that card.

40k income probably can get a 10k limit or something, might take two HP's obviously YMMV.  Also you don't have to be pre-qualified for the DC, with that said have you checked their site to see if you are  pre-qualified for anything?

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, the question "is this card good to have" is not really a question that anyone on here can answer with certainty for you. What card is good for one person might not be for the next. For example, I have a card that most on here would say is a bad card. That being said, this card works for me because of the way I spend, travel and use the rewards. To determine if a card is "good for you", you need to figure out what you need in a card, how are you going to spend, how will the rewards benefit you if they do benefit you at all, etc....

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

is it good to have? well, it's good for those that need 21 months to pay a balance but not to those that typically PIF or will pay off very soon.
it can be ok if you NEED it and you can often PC it later; but don't apply in hopes of doing a PC. as creditcuriosity said just apply for what you want vs what wants you. don't fall for marketing.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@     thanks for your inputs. I have checked on their site and i am not prequalified for anything. yet when i type in the pre selected offer code , it shows i am preselected for DP.  i will wait another few months for better offers.

@   good points you mentioned. i just wanted to know the user experiences with citi DP and perceived advantages and disadvantages. personally i like double cash. but i did not want to miss some useful points about DP just because i was not aware , that is why i asked about people's experiences with this card.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a basic card to me. If you dont have any/many id take it if you get denied for cards you want lol

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. i was not aware that DP can be product changed to other cards. awesome input. thanks!

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

now, let's be clear here, i am no citi pro but i have seen the DP PC to the DC but idk what else qualifies. i don't care much for citi's products so i don't retain their info lol.
Message 8 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. i was not aware that DP can be product changed to other cards. awesome input. thanks!

They will only PC it after the 0% apr offer is over..  So don't be appying for it and hoping you can PC it in 6 months to DC as it doesn't work that way.  Gotta wait for the 0% apr to be over as stated.

Message 9 of 23
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's a basic card. Has a long 0 percent period, but beyond that, no real benefits. If you don't need the 21 months 0 percent, I'd garden longer and go for double cash down the road to have a more well rounded card.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.