Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it a good idea to have 3 different types

tag
Flying_High
Regular Contributor

is it a good idea to have 3 different types

Hey guys, I have a question is it a good idea to have 3 different types of credit cards by the same credit card company?, the reason why im asking is because I have..

2 Capital One credit card (1) limit $301..(2) limit $500

1 Discover Card Limit $750

now the $301 card is the oldest 7 months and the $500 limit is 1 month and the $750 I didnt get my frist bill yet.

after I get the $500 limit at 6 months I want to close out the $301 Capital One card so that way I can open another Discover card with its same amount or higher. when the $750 gets at 6 mouths I want to close out the other Capital One card $500 limit and get another Discover card so that way ill have 3 Discover card on file...Discover card gave me more limit then Capital One

Any suggestions would be great,..I tried to describe the best i could

As of 9/13"
Starting Score: 600
Goal Score: 740
Garden till 10/14"
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: is it a good idea to have 3 different types

Having three credit cards from the same company isn't going to affect your FICO score any differently than having three credit cards all from different companies.  Though I think it's best to atleast have cards from two different lenders, especially if one of them is Discover or Amex.  They aren't accepted everywhere.  Also, if for some reason your main lender cuts you off sometime, you have a backup.  I imagine you'd also be able to get more exposure with 3 cards from different companies, if you are looking at growing your credit limits.  So unless you really want those 3 Discover cards over something else, I would look at some other lenders.  Closing your Capitol One's so quickly is probably not a good idea either, unless they have annual fees you can't get waived.  I'd wait until they have 2 years of age atleast before closing them.

Message 2 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I agree with Koop.......lender don't want to see your limit history with 6 month then closed.........I mean I don't know what your other credit file but I guses you just obtain your credit not too long ago........I would suggest keep both of Capital One for 2 years then close one had AF..........keep your Discover in good shape then request limit increase every6 months..........App for some store card like Walmart Macy........etc.........store card very good with credit increase .........Credit game take time so don't rush........

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Discover is not likely to give you three card... sorry to burst your bubble.  You can try to combine limits on the Cap1 cards. 

I would look at an Amex Green

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 10
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

You can try to combine limits on the Cap1 cards. 

Cap1 no longer will combine credit limits - I was told this from the executive office. They then went and gave me a credit limit increase on the card I DIDN'T want it on (the one with an AF and no rewards)

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 5 of 10
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

$301 CL???  That's really odd.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 6 of 10
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Omaplatypus wrote:

LMAO "Congrats you can now use this $1 credit line increase to pay bills, fill up your gas tank, and buy groceries" -cap1 CLI letter

Message 7 of 10
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

@Omaplatypus wrote:

LMAO "Congrats you can now use this $1 credit line increase to pay bills, fill up your gas tank, and buy groceries" -cap1 CLI letter

No it's a dollar interest they forgot to deduct......

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 10
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

+1 for "They aren't accepted everywhere"

MC and Visa are the gold standard.  Go for the Gold.

Message 9 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Having three credit cards from the same company isn't going to affect your FICO score any differently than having three credit cards all from different companies.  Though I think it's best to atleast have cards from two different lenders, especially if one of them is Discover or Amex.  They aren't accepted everywhere.  Also, if for some reason your main lender cuts you off sometime, you have a backup.  I imagine you'd also be able to get more exposure with 3 cards from different companies, if you are looking at growing your credit limits.  So unless you really want those 3 Discover cards over something else, I would look at some other lenders.  Closing your Capitol One's so quickly is probably not a good idea either, unless they have annual fees you can't get waived.  I'd wait until they have 2 years of age atleast before closing them.

+1. Koop is exactly right here. I don't think having different types of cards matters, unless one of them is Discover or Amex in which case acceptance may become an issue.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.