cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it better for apply for Chase while logged into banking?

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

is it better for apply for Chase while logged into banking?

I have about a 10 year history with Chase, going back to WAMU. with WAMU, i had a lot of overdrafts, but with direct deposit, they were always paid. I am also an AU on a chase freedom, 2500 cl.

I barely use my Chase checking account now, I mainly use B of A.

I want to establish my own Chase credit card. I want the CSP, but don't have the income or score right now.

Is it better to log-in to Chase banking and apply for the freedom that way? Or, just apply online regular?

I don't know if my history with Chase is bad or not. The freedom that I am AU on was closed by the bank, because that person got into financial trouble and had to call Chase to work out a deal. Chase worked out a deal to reduce payments, but closed the card. However, when i look on my credit report, the chase freedom is reporting as open and paid/paid as agreed. Utilization is about 50%, and there is not much i can do about that.

I'm hoping to get the freedom and then in a year or so, app for the CSP.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: is it better for apply for Chase while logged into banking?

Chase is a stickler on util and 50% is too high. You could ask a banker if there are any pre-approvals for you or your their pre-qualify website.

Edit: typo
Message 2 of 14
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Your utilization is high, but when you do apply for a CC online then you can by pass inputting some info in by inputting your username and password. This may or may not give more history and chance with Chase, but if you are referred to call or denied you can recon stating you have a checking about with them and Chase may take it this more consideration. Good luck!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 3 of 14
shasta
Regular Contributor

Also, I have always checked on the regular Chase website for preapproved offers and there were none.

after posting this thread, i just checked again and it said i was preapproved for slate and freedom.

Is that a guarantee?

I also like the United mileage Chase. Is that harder to get than the freedom?

Message 4 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The pre-qualified site is not a guarantee. I'd really get that util down before apping. If you app now and are approved the limit might be low.
Message 5 of 14
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

When I applied for the CSP, I was logged in, so I don't have to fill in some boxes. When I submitted my applicatiion, It wasn't an instant approval or a 7 - 10 business day message, but It said to call the backdoor number. So I did call them, verified some info, and boom. App approved with 5k CL (which is the minimum for a Visa Sig card). As always, YMMV.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Nothing is a guarantee, its always YMMV. We never know what a lender could or might do. UA miles is harder than the Freedom IMO.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 14
shasta
Regular Contributor

I'm an AU on the chase freedom, it's my ex's card. Nothing I can do about the utilization.

Message 8 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Disputes with the CRAs about the freedom card. Just explain its not yours.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 14
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.