cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it easy to get a secured CC through CU?

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

is it easy to get a secured CC through CU?

I'm joining my local credit union today... I've been working on my credit & paying off my debts, my scores when I first started on 2/18/2013 were all in the low-to-mid 400's... now they are all in the lower 500's. 

I'd really like to get a secured CC to help rebuild... but w/those scores, will it be too hard even through a credit union?

I guess I want to save myself the embarassment.... should I wait a bit more?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dmorey
Contributor

Re: is it easy to get a secured CC through CU?

Probably depends on the credit union, but I know mine would approve secured in that range. Don't know if you're eligible but USAA gave me two secured cards when I started rebuilding. My score at the time was 479. Maybe you could call the credit union first and ask what they look for to approve a secured card? I know some banks have specific guidelines for secured cards such as not approving if someone has a judgment.

Message 2 of 4
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Are you moving checking and savings accounts there and becoming regular member?   If so, I would wait a few months and establish yourself.

Message 3 of 4
Joteism
Regular Contributor

My CU had no score requirements at all for secured cards. As long as you had a checking account and the minimum deposit of $500 for the secured account, they'd set you up. If I were you, I'd go to the branch and ask to speak to their credit/loan processor and just ask what their policy is. I'm with Marriott Employees FCU and have found that the tellers often times are not fully apprised on the requirements to obtain a card.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.