Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it just a rumor??? i hope so!!

tag
yfan
Valued Contributor

Re: is it just a rumor??? i hope so!!

@Gunnar419 wrote:

And actually, Discover DOES have loyalty to their cardholders. A lot of loyalty, and I know that from having been a Discover customer for 20 years. They treat their cardholders exceptionally well, right down to giving them extra suprise perks. I'm no fan of big corporations, especially financial ones, but Discover treats its customers like valued human beings.

This is actually very true, at least when you play by the rules. Recently when an item I bought in October dropped in price by half for Cyber Monday sales, Discover didn't give me any pains when I filed a price protection claim. The process was smooth and fast, and it was approved quickly. It's one reason I always tend to buy big ticket items on Discover, regardless of the cashback percentages at the time - because I know if it drops in price in a reasonable amount of time, all I have to do is make a phone call.

Message 81 of 201
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Now this is the kind of mayhem debate I like!

Coffee?

Typo?

Message 82 of 201
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. I was waiting for a response that didn't read like sour apples.

Sour apples? What happened to grapes? Man Mad Smiley Very Happy

Message 83 of 201
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. I was waiting for a response that didn't read like sour apples.

Sour apples? What happened to grapes? Man Mad Smiley Very Happy

They ran out of those. Smiley Indifferent

Message 84 of 201
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Why should they warn people when it is written on the page?

Because it's the right thing to do. Good business practice. Lots of people don't actually read T&C's.

With that logic AMEX should have warned people that they were going to close their OBC for MS. Or Companies should alert the consumer 1 week advance of AA like CLDs. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 85 of 201
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I really fail to see how they deserve a low blow for wanting to require you to use their card to get the cashback bonus that they are sponsoring.

It's like people who come into my store who want to use a Kellog's coupon for a General Mills cereal. I just do not understand it. Discover is paying out the cashback bonus. Discover can and should want/force you to use their card in order to recieve it. Otherwise they are giving you a bonus for using a competitor's card, and there is no business reason for them to want to do that, whatsoever. They deserve applause for good business decisions, not low blows because people who exploit the system are pissed because their free ride is ending.

They deserve applause ONLY if they fix the exploit. And disdain for shutting down people.

We don't know if rewards abuse was the reason though. Earlier in the thread the thought was they were shut down for using a personal card for business purposes, which is a great reason to shut down accounts.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 86 of 201
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Make no mistake, they have no loyalty to you or any of us. Why kudos something that won't return the favor?

That is your opinion, but this isn't about loyalty. In my view, chronic rewards abusers are among top reasons for rewards getting nerfed - any company making an example out of them gets kudos in my book.

Agreed. OBC or Cash+ anyone?

Message 87 of 201
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

Sometimes I don't even think it's abuse the rewards.. The company (any cash back website) gets money from promoting the commercial sites and they just distribute a part of it to their customers.. Using discover card or not, they still get their money just via customers using the portal..

And I really think closing people's account without notice is a bad act because it's your right not to give rewards when peoole don't use the card to check out, but this is your own flaw and you are responsible of fixing it.. Or at least a warning ahead of time would be better than just shutting accounts down.. It seems to me that they are desperate.. And have no other ways to prevent this so call abuse and only option is not to do business with some people anymore

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 88 of 201
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Christina_xyt wrote:
Sometimes I don't even think it's abuse the rewards.. The company (any cash back website) gets money from promoting the commercial sites and they just distribute a part of it to their customers.. Using discover card or not, they still get their money just via customers using the portal..

And I really think closing people's account without notice is a bad act because it's your right not to give rewards when peoole don't use the card to check out, but this is your own flaw and you are responsible of fixing it.. Or at least a warning ahead of time would be better than just shutting accounts down.. It seems to me that they are desperate.. And have no other ways to prevent this so call abuse and only option is not to do business with some people anymore

It's really a judgement call by the issuer (as they can close an account at any time for any or no reason).   If they think the losses are too great, and the number of people involved isn't a large fraction of the total, just shutting it down is quick and easy, with little downside.    In the worst case, some of these people sue in small claims and some of them win, but still the CCC has stopped a lot of expensive behavior.

Some of the same arguments were made on the OBC (but IMO not very seriously as most of us involved knew exactly what we were doing) that the rules didn't prevent the purchase of gift cards, merely that they would not earn rewards, and, exactly as here, the CCC should fix the process so that rewards aren't given.   But that might be too hard or costly, and shutdowns are the way to go.

Message 89 of 201
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a bartender, who very occasionally has to ban someone from coming back to said bar, for bad behavior, I usually get kudos for doing so. Removing bad actors is usually more likely to get positive rep from the adoring public than not. As someone who takes advantage of those lovely 10 percent back deals, if getting rid of a few people who pimp the system for ean extra 2-5 percent keeps me saving 10 percent, I will write 10 good reviews of discover products for every one bad one I see Smiley Tongue

Message 90 of 201
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.