cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it worth sticking with annual fees to garden?

tag
frankietown
Established Member

is it worth sticking with annual fees to garden?

hey guys! man of man these past few days have been crazy learning experience

here is my history:

usbank college: 300 - feb 2013

boa partial secured: 500 - april 2013

usbank cash rewards - failed (april 2013) - this one im soooo pissed about, stupid guy apped me when i said no thank you when i got offered

cap one: 500 - july 2013

discover it: failed - july 2013 - my first recon she said they don't reconsider.. should i try again?

bestbuy: failed july 2013 - this was compulsive and a mistake and i have not tried reconning.

CLI usbank college: july 2013 pending

so it is safe to say that i am stopping apping now and just start to garden what i have. i didnt know about utilization and have been charging up the wall and paying off when its due... i feel terrible i wasted 5 months doing that. so now i paid off my boa, gonna pay off my usbank to have ~9% util, and then just sit on the cap one. my new strategy is just garden for awhile rotating one card a month only the 1-9% util and be a good boy. this is no problem with me as i have pretty good programmers income Smiley Very Happy

anyway my question is about annual fees. my boa and cap1 have both annual fees, $39 and $19 respectively. the boa ive paid, but should i keep paying? and the cap1 it is free first year and only $19 second year so i guess i can sit on it for 2 years. but when does it get to the point that the annual fees aren't worth it anymore? if they are worth it, how long should i keep paying them for it to be worth it?

i want to garden for my goal cards: discover it, amex bce and chase freedom. how long should i sit and garden for? i was thinking no applications till my birthday next year oct 2014. so thats a little over a year, which is going to be definitely tricky, but what minimum wait time should i do if those 3 are my goal cards?

thanks guys and thank you for being so informative. man.. how bad would my credit score have been if i just kept maxing and paying it off lol..

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ElleC

Re: is it worth sticking with annual fees to garden?

You should check your credit report and FICO score every so often to see where you're at and then don't apply again until you see a major improvement. If you're just starting out or recovering from bad credit, the annual fees are a small price to pay to get on the right track. Time will help!

Message 2 of 6
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

The first cc I got was a secure Boa cc, then I only applied to no AF cc. After the reccession my credit got a big hit, and I did get an AF cc, that I closed a year later when the AF was gonna hit.

Creditors like accounts with at least 1 year history, you got some cc if the fees are not in the sky category paying the a few not crazy AF is worth it, then in a year you move on.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 3 of 6
frankietown
Established Member

i see. so as long as i have done well with the time i have with them, its okay only having them for one year to skip out on any annual fees?

AMEX BCE: $22000 | nov 2013 ### DISCOVER IT: $6500 | nov 2013
CHASE FREEDOM: $7000 | nov 2013 ### CHASE CSP: $7500 | nov 2013
us bank college: $1000 | feb 2013 ### boa partial secured: $5000 | april 2013
GARDEN TILL: 11/2013 - 3/2015 CAUSE I DONT NEED ANYTHING!
Message 4 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@frankietown wrote:

hey guys! man of man these past few days have been crazy learning experience

here is my history:

usbank college: 300 - feb 2013

boa partial secured: 500 - april 2013

usbank cash rewards - failed (april 2013) - this one im soooo pissed about, stupid guy apped me when i said no thank you when i got offered

cap one: 500 - july 2013

discover it: failed - july 2013 - my first recon she said they don't reconsider.. should i try again?

bestbuy: failed july 2013 - this was compulsive and a mistake and i have not tried reconning.

CLI usbank college: july 2013 pending

so it is safe to say that i am stopping apping now and just start to garden what i have. i didnt know about utilization and have been charging up the wall and paying off when its due... i feel terrible i wasted 5 months doing that. so now i paid off my boa, gonna pay off my usbank to have ~9% util, and then just sit on the cap one. my new strategy is just garden for awhile rotating one card a month only the 1-9% util and be a good boy. this is no problem with me as i have pretty good programmers income Smiley Very Happy

anyway my question is about annual fees. my boa and cap1 have both annual fees, $39 and $19 respectively. the boa ive paid, but should i keep paying? and the cap1 it is free first year and only $19 second year so i guess i can sit on it for 2 years. but when does it get to the point that the annual fees aren't worth it anymore? if they are worth it, how long should i keep paying them for it to be worth it?

i want to garden for my goal cards: discover it, amex bce and chase freedom. how long should i sit and garden for? i was thinking no applications till my birthday next year oct 2014. so thats a little over a year, which is going to be definitely tricky, but what minimum wait time should i do if those 3 are my goal cards?

thanks guys and thank you for being so informative. man.. how bad would my credit score have been if i just kept maxing and paying it off lol..

Its definitely time to leave the apps alone and Garden for at least 6-12 months.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 6
Exonumist
Established Contributor

You've got a few cards now and the only thing to do is GARDEN. Time and positive reporting are the only things that matter. Something that I have done to keep myself from apping is actually letting cards report with higher then ideal utilization. Nothing crazy, but over 10% or multiple cards. If I know I stand less of a chance for approval I won't bother. The amount of time that you keep the cards with the annual fees is going to depend on your goals. Are you wanting to get a mortgage? Auto loan? Just build your credit in general?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.