Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this normal?

tag
high_lander
Established Member

is this normal?

I recently closed a Cap One low limit CC that I had a couple dings on. When it was open, Credit karma showed me at 97.8% on time payments. Now that I have it closed they show me @100% on time payments. Is this because the card is closed and no longer reporting as open?

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: TU 712 EQ 704 (both from myFICO)
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: is this normal?

@high_lander wrote:

@I recently closed a Cap One low limit CC that I had a couple dings on. When it was open, Credit karma showed me at 97.8% on time payments. Now that I have it closed they show me @Anonymous% on time payments. Is this because the card is closed and no longer reporting as open?

Another reason I don't like Credit Karma! They sure have all of a sudden hit page one in my life lately... just discussed them with a friend yesterday and I think you are about 3rd poster today... So for what I have read and what I "think I understand" is the ISSUE with Credit Karma that passes by many of us is that it is designed to take a Transunion Credit Report and calculate it in a way of how lenders MIGHT view your risk based on your debt, apps, open, closed, limits, etc. risk for new credit... so the score for 1 is pretty much worthless and the actions that you make that then show up on Credit Karma that is confusing is you might see gains that probably didn't actually change your credit in that way or you see negatives that are not weighted that way on a regular pull for new credit with a bank.

Basically good to track your debt, make sure you are saving and moving forward, good way to make sure you don't miss a fraud on your TransUnion report... beyond that , not the correct report I would want to see if concerned about my score and getting new credit in the near future or how much it says on Credit Karma it will hurt you.

Message 2 of 7
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Aye.  Creditkarma is good to use as sort of early warning system of changes to your report.  Their score is bunk though.  I watch it solely to see reporting changes on my existing accounts and of course to see if some Nigerian prince is attempting to open new accounts or something. 

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 3 of 7
Simply827
Established Contributor

CK doesn't take closed accounts into account while FICO does.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 4 of 7
Supawest
Valued Member

CK confuses the h3ll out of me sometimes but great to monitor activity and reading reviews on CCs. I would never trust their scoring though it always exaggerates!

Starting score 656 EQ (Nov'12 Lender Pull)Current Score: EX 770 EQ 771 TU 780
Goal Score: 820 across

Message 5 of 7
high_lander
Established Member

Yeah I am waiting for the walMart score to come out and a week or so. I am getting ready to buy a new truck and want to make sure I haven't fowled it up. Hopefully DATCU will give us a good rate like they did for our other loan with them. Part of it is waiting for the INQs to stop being a factor after 9 MAR. The dealer rocked like 4 HPs for our loan. UGH. 

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: TU 712 EQ 704 (both from myFICO)
Goal Score: 850

Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Simply827 wrote:

CK doesn't take closed accounts into account while FICO does.

+1

CK only factors in open accounts.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.