sac687205

joint account question...

My wife and I have 2 joint checkign accounts with open lines of credit (overdraft credit reserve accounts).  THey are both appearing on both of our credit reports as open revolving credit.  What impact would there be if we took each others names of the accounts and made them single accounts.  Would this reflect ont he credit reports?  thanks?
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

Re: joint account question...

sac687205 wrote:
My wife and I have 2 joint checkign accounts with open lines of credit (overdraft credit reserve accounts).  THey are both appearing on both of our credit reports as open revolving credit.  What impact would there be if we took each others names of the accounts and made them single accounts.  Would this reflect ont he credit reports?  thanks?

You probably won't be able to do that.  Normally the only way to remove someone from a joint account is to close the account entirely and open a new one.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: joint account question...

Many banks like Discover, Chase, Nordstrom... you can call and ask to remove one of the joint users, they send a form and you fill it out and send it back and if the person that wants to keep the account qualifies for the account alone they will delete the joint status.
Citi use to do this but stopped.
Not sure about bank accounts though
Fico Scores: EQ- 653 Cap1., TU 696 Walmart, EX 695 Chase (11-05-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
65 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}