Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

joint account question...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

joint account question...

My wife and I have 2 joint checkign accounts with open lines of credit (overdraft credit reserve accounts).  THey are both appearing on both of our credit reports as open revolving credit.  What impact would there be if we took each others names of the accounts and made them single accounts.  Would this reflect ont he credit reports?  thanks?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: joint account question...

sac687205 wrote:
My wife and I have 2 joint checkign accounts with open lines of credit (overdraft credit reserve accounts).  THey are both appearing on both of our credit reports as open revolving credit.  What impact would there be if we took each others names of the accounts and made them single accounts.  Would this reflect ont he credit reports?  thanks?

You probably won't be able to do that.  Normally the only way to remove someone from a joint account is to close the account entirely and open a new one.

Message 2 of 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: joint account question...

Many banks like Discover, Chase, Nordstrom... you can call and ask to remove one of the joint users, they send a form and you fill it out and send it back and if the person that wants to keep the account qualifies for the account alone they will delete the joint status.
Citi use to do this but stopped.
Not sure about bank accounts though
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.