cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just applied for joint cardmember on chase explorer- should i wait to apply for my own card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

just applied for joint cardmember on chase explorer- should i wait to apply for my own card?

Hey everyone, thank you for all the posts in the last year. My EX has jumped almost 200 points from 520 to 710 in my credit journey, a lot of thanks to this forum.

So here is my delima:

I have no credit cards and just sent in an application to be a joint cardmember on my bf's Chase Explorer.

Should I wait for them to pull my account and approve/deny me the joint cardmembership, or go ahead and try to apply for my own card with maybe capital one (i am pre qualified for a platinum card). Would that hinder getting qualified for the joint?

I also need to buy a new car really soon. I have saved a downpayment of $5000, I think that adding the cc would boost my credit scores as I have no CC history and my bf has huge limit and perfect payments, under 30% utilization.

Any advice on how I should play this hand would be great! thanks everyone! I really appreciate this community.

EX:  no idea

TU:  663

EQ: 710

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: just applied for joint cardmember on chase explorer- should i wait to apply for my own card?

Even assuming you get approved on the joint account, you should go get another 1-2 cards on your own regardless.

That said, how soon are we talking for auto loan?  If we're talking in the next month, it's a wash (it'll be a negative either on your auto loan or on your future credit cards) and probably a benefit to simply wait; however, if we're talking 3-6 month timeframe, I'd make the applications now and get the new accounts aging immediately.

        
Message 2 of 5
jcx808
New Contributor

Re: just applied for joint cardmember on chase explorer- should i wait to apply for my own card?

You could be added as an authorized user instead of a joint account holder.  I'm not sure how FICO scores affect AU, but you should be able to gain the credit history of the of the card as a AU.  Plus as an AU you don't need to apply, I'm never heard of anyone getting denied for an AU on a card.

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 725 EQ 746 TU as of 6/24/2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

update: I applied and got a capital 1 platinum card (2K), and got authorized as a joint card user on the explorer and had that limit increased by $4000. Soon as the accounts hit on my credit report, it should raise it significantly since I have no CC tradelines currently, and then apply for my autoloan ( i should be in the prime). After that, garden for a long time!

Message 4 of 5
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

The new capital 1 card with hit ur Aaoa once it report. That's going to drop ur score. I don't think u need those cards to report to get an auto loan. $5k deposit is significant if it's at least 25% down.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.