Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just got a huge boost to total utilization

tag
Sidewayzracer
Valued Member

just got a huge boost to total utilization

I just got a 2500 cli card from wells fargo the rate is extremely bad at 30.9% but im not interested in that as i was looking to add a card to increase my total limit.

my limit combined on two cards was 2750 so this is a huge boost in my climb back up to a good credit score.  This is with a 598 equifax score.  now im looking for a bit of advice on how to take best advantage of this card.  Should i try and have 7% utilization to report each month but pay off the amount before the grace period or should i leave the balance at 0?

11/21/09 - Equifax score 599 12/7/09 - 603 4/25/10 - 645 4/17/2012 - 707
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tralyn05
Valued Member

Re: just got a huge boost to total utilization

Congrats on the CLI ...

I'm upset with WF right now....My CL was decreased from 3750 to 3000....no changes in my report ---outta the blue and they told me after the fact and only sent info after I asked.....

Message 2 of 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: just got a huge boost to total utilization

@Sidewayzracer wrote:

I just got a 2500 cli card from wells fargo the rate is extremely bad at 30.9% but im not interested in that as i was looking to add a card to increase my total limit.

my limit combined on two cards was 2750 so this is a huge boost in my climb back up to a good credit score.  This is with a 598 equifax score.  now im looking for a bit of advice on how to take best advantage of this card.  Should i try and have 7% utilization to report each month but pay off the amount before the grace period or should i leave the balance at 0?

Optimal credit utilization for FICO scoring purposes seems to be:

Total revolving utilization > 0 and < 9%, the lower the better, and
Reporting a balance on less than half of your revolving TL's, and
Reporting a balance on half or less of all TL's.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.