Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

late payments on cc

tag
MsTucker09
Regular Contributor

late payments on cc

i have 2 credit cards that my last late payment was in 4/07 and one 6/07.  I was thinking of writing GW letters to the company but someone told me don't bother because the late payments fall off after 2 years because it happened to her and we are trying to buy a house so I wanted to know should I try it or leave it alone if the payments are going to fall off this month and 2mos from now?

Starting Score: EQ 462 9/30/11
Current Score: TU 577 4/10/12 EQ 607 4/10/12 PLUS 627 4/10/12 Beacon 5.0 621 lender pull 4/13/12
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: late payments on cc

@MsTucker09 wrote:
i have 2 credit cards that my last late payment was in 4/07 and one 6/07.  I was thinking of writing GW letters to the company but someone told me don't bother because the late payments fall off after 2 years because it happened to her and we are trying to buy a house so I wanted to know should I try it or leave it alone if the payments are going to fall off this month and 2mos from now?

this is incorrect.  they typically remain on your report for about 7 years.

send all three GW letters.  rinse and repeat if you have to.  often times persistence pays off since it may take several attempts until you are rewarded with success in this effort.  GL!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Are the late payments 30,60,90,120+ ?
Message 2 of 6
MsTucker09
Regular Contributor

WFNNB- 2- 30day lates (6/07)

MCYDSNB-1-60day late (4/07)

Cap One-1-30 day late (4/07)

Starting Score: EQ 462 9/30/11
Current Score: TU 577 4/10/12 EQ 607 4/10/12 PLUS 627 4/10/12 Beacon 5.0 621 lender pull 4/13/12
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

@MsTucker09 wrote:

this is incorrect.  they typically remain on your report for about 7 years.

send all three GW letters.  rinse and repeat if you have to.  often times persistence pays off since it may take several attempts until you are rewarded with success in this effort.  GL!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Late payments do not fall off after two years.  Unless the company provides GW, they will stay on your credit for 7 years.

I would suggest trying the GW, because it cannot hurt anything and if one or both are removed, you are better off.

Lates begin to have less impact on your credit as they age, thus at 2 years, if you have maintained your credit since, will begin to be less of an issue. 

Message 5 of 6
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

I would GW them. They're not as serious as 90 or 120+ at least! They should drop off (granted you get someone with a heart of gold) Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.