Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

letter from Merrick Bank

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

letter from Merrick Bank

Got a letter in the mail from Merrick saying saying that I have popened o many new cards in a short period that may resolt in your account being closed but they  do not want to so asks me to be careful when I consider opening  new accounts

Oh well,this was a former Hooters card, I am fine if it does get closed but was a  great rebuilder as now I have Discover, Chase Freedom and Citi

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: letter from Merrick Bank

@john398 wrote:

Got a letter in the mail from Merrick saying saying that I have popened o many new cards in a short period that may resolt in your account being closed but they  do not want to so asks me to be careful when I consider opening  new accounts

Oh well,this was a former Hooters card, I am fine if it does get closed but was a  great rebuilder as now I have Discover, Chase Freedom and Citi

That's very interesting, never heard of this before - like a pre~AA warning letter Smiley Tongue

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

op you should return the favor and tell them now that you have chase citi and discover youve realized that you no longer need them! lol

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 13
FrugalRican
Blogger

Meh, just leave it be.

I'd rather have all those other cards anyway.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL. Everything about that bank makes me laugh and shiver at the same time. While I have nothing nice to say about Merrick bank and would tell them to shove it personally (unless it's your oldest TL maybe)... congrats on the rebuilding efforts!

Message 5 of 13
icanimprove
Established Member

I got the same letter from them about a month ago. My app spree was in January when I added AMEX, Barclays, and Chase. They didn't end up closing my account. OP, I wouldn't worry about it if i was you. 

Message 6 of 13
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I got the same letter within the last month.  I thought it was hilarious and laughed it off.  Then I ripped it up. Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

Glad I was   not the only one who got the letter, just got approved for 3k with my local CU and freedom and discover are both at 2k cl life is good Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
applebottom

Got the same letter yesterday after I got approved for a 15.000 from BBVA Compass 5000 from First communitycrefit Union and reason is 5000 is because that's the  lowest they start if you don't set your own limit BOA 10000   none of them seem to be concern about me applying for new credit.

So what give I don't owe them anything  and always paid my bill on time. Now they r concern because I apply . Major credit limit is 100,000 and  and I only owe  3,600 and that's paid every month because I use my rewards cc to pay my bills. If they looked more at how I pay than what I appply for then they would know  I'm not the one they should be concern with. If I charge 10,000 to a cc I got 10,000 to back it up. I charge no more than I can afford to pay at a given. That why I always know each card billing cycle  so I get the jump on the bill before it comes out.  So if my statement date is the 6th I start using that card on the 7th. and pay it off on the 3rd of the next month or half the bill and get the statement for the other half. BOA since they don't list my cl I  always leave a 800.00 balance on them since I paid household bills with them.

Message 9 of 13
moonman
Frequent Contributor

I got the letter today and closed it immediatly  because it was a former hooters card that i opened in 07 with a 4k limit. I received three pre approved offers from some prime lenders within the last eight months that i could not turn down and this letter made it easier to shut them down.Merrick bank is a bottom feeder to me now because when it was a hooters card they had no problems with the accounts i had opened and I usually charged a couple of bills on it every month and pay it off to keep it active and use the points i earned.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.