Did you mean: 

letting ALL my cards report this month--RESULTS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I'm letting ALL my cards report this month--UPDATE

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You are getting BALANCE CHANGE alerts on your three bureaus?  Since when?  They don't even claim, anymore, to be able to do that.

I gert alerts on all three when balances change--per card on EQ and EX; aggregate on TU.

Alerts.JPG

Mine has been working well for quite some time now. I am very pleased.

This looks more like the way it should work.  Maybe the administrators should study your monitoring setup so they can reproduce it for everybody else, because "very pleased" customers is not the norm.

If those are all the balance changes, and they are not missing anything in score changes, then they are doing for you what they don't even claim they are able to do with the service (they say only EQ gives them balance alerts with FICO score changes)...

Message 41 of 58
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

I may be able to share some " let everything report $0" info in the next couple of weeks as well.  For the past six months or so, I had every card except one (Care Credit) show $0 balance.  I just paid off the Care Creidt as well, so it is going to show $0 as well around 12/2/14.  I will have a couple of weeks of all $0 balances and will then allow another card to report perhaps $25 or so.  I am curious to see how much of a hit I take and PRAY that I do indeed get the points back when the other card reports a balance.  

Isn't it fun playing FICO Roulette!  Smiley Happy

I can share my experience with this. In Feb this year, I got my second card, the Barclaycard Arrival+ World Mastercard, with a $600 credit line. I already had a Capital One Visa Platinum with $1250 limit. I don't have any other accounts (car loan, home loan, etc). I was naïve, I didn't know PIF meant let a balance report and then pay it before the due date. I thought PIF meant paying the entire amount before the statement generated.

Anyways, Barclaycard letter said that my TU score at the time of application was 679. For the next 6-7 months, I basically had 0 balance report on both my cards. Guess what? My score went up from 679 to 750 during that time! Smiley Very Happy I didn't realize what I was doing, but it was working for me. Then I read about reporting a balance. My mistake was that I reported a small balance (~10%) on both my cards. My score dropped 14 points! At that point, I said to myself, I'm not reporting a balance again! But this month, I am letting only one of my cards report a balance. Let's see how it impacts the score. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll try updating my results on this thread.

Current Score TU: 787, EX: N/A, EQ: N/A
Message 42 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@slvrhwk wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

I may be able to share some " let everything report $0" info in the next couple of weeks as well.  For the past six months or so, I had every card except one (Care Credit) show $0 balance.  I just paid off the Care Creidt as well, so it is going to show $0 as well around 12/2/14.  I will have a couple of weeks of all $0 balances and will then allow another card to report perhaps $25 or so.  I am curious to see how much of a hit I take and PRAY that I do indeed get the points back when the other card reports a balance.  

I can share my experience with this. In Feb this year, I got my second card, the Barclaycard Arrival+ World Mastercard, with a $600 credit line. I already had a Capital One Visa Platinum with $1250 limit. I don't have any other accounts (car loan, home loan, etc). I was naïve, I didn't know PIF meant let a balance report and then pay it before the due date. I thought PIF meant paying the entire amount before the statement generated.

Just to clarify, PIF applies to both, paying before statement cut or after.

And I have done this same thread experiment in the past and it's very clear that only one card reporting with minimal utilization maximizes the score.

Message 43 of 58
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@slvrhwk wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

And I have done this same thread experiment in the past and it's very clear that only one card reporting with minimal utilization maximizes the score.

You let all cards report?

Message 44 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@slvrhwk wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

You let all cards report?

YES, for the first year of my rebuilding credit I let everything post and PIF, right after.  I did that to show those banks, and all others "watching" that I could spend and pay with no problem.  I still think that is the best strategy, at the beginning.

After my BofA secured card graduated, I switched to optimization and conducted a number of experiments.  In my findings, 1 card, 1% utilization, maximizes things (everything else remaining equal).

Message 45 of 58
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Card 8 of 9 just reported and no hit to EQ. Looks like I may have bottomed out on the dings for accounts reporting a balance on EQ. We shall see when 9 of 9 reports.

TU took a 2 pt hit and the FICO Score Alert shows "Too many accounts reporting a balance" now has a stronger effect on my score than before. This reason showed up when 7 of 9 cards reported.

No alert from EX yet. My guess is it will be similar effect as TU.

Curious to see what happens when 9 of 9 hits.

Message 46 of 58
mikelo22
Established Contributor

I had a 20 point drop in my TU FICO this month from two things: Took a HP for Chase CSP, and I let >50% util report on the card this month. Was curious to see how big of a hit UTIL really was, and it appears to be pretty substantial Smiley Tongue

It's already been paid off now... was just curious to see the effect. And it ensures that I stay in the garden for the next month until my score returns to normal. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the test run, OP. Very interesting results. 

Message 47 of 58
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Question, in regards to the OP's experiment that is currently ongoing.  If OP were to pull a new myFICO report for all three bureaus, would the three FICO scores provided mirror what OP currently views on his myfico dashboard?

From my understanding, they should be exactly as viewed from current dashboard due to the alerts rolling in and adjusting his score on the fly.  However, I am not sure if this is the case?  If not, then it would appear this service is simply a proactive way to monitor your credit.  When Amex "finally" decides to report (2 statements have posted), all my accounts from my app spree in September (10 new credit card accounts + 1 share secured loan) will be reporting.  Once that happens, I am going to request a new three bureau report from myfico.com to verify if the scores are the same as I see now on my dashboard.

Message 48 of 58
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

I had a 20 point drop in my TU FICO this month from two things: Took a HP for Chase CSP, and I let >50% util report on the card this month. Was curious to see how big of a hit UTIL really was, and it appears to be pretty substantial Smiley Tongue

It's already been paid off now... was just curious to see the effect. And it ensures that I stay in the garden for the next month until my score returns to normal. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the test run, OP. Very interesting results. 

I think it's fun to test things out and see effects. UTL is a big factor for sure, huh? <14% is a good place for me to be and ~7% has reaped me the biggest benefits so far.

Message 49 of 58
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

@akula wrote:

Question, in regards to the OP's experiment that is currently ongoing.  If OP were to pull a new myFICO report for all three bureaus, would the three FICO scores provided mirror what OP currently views on his myfico dashboard?

From my understanding, they should be exactly as viewed from current dashboard due to the alerts rolling in and adjusting his score on the fly.  However, I am not sure if this is the case?  If not, then it would appear this service is simply a proactive way to monitor your credit.  When Amex "finally" decides to report (2 statements have posted), all my accounts from my app spree in September (10 new credit card accounts + 1 share secured loan) will be reporting.  Once that happens, I am going to request a new three bureau report from myfico.com to verify if the scores are the same as I see now on my dashboard.

Good question. My service seems to be working exactly as intended. I get prompt alerts that have date stamps associated with them.

So, if I were to pull a report today I would imagine that it would be the same, provided something hasn't changed in the last few hours.

Ultimately my test (for myself) has been to see the marginal change in score per card reporting. I'm not too concerned with overall score.

I see no need to pull my reports to verify because I would rather use that money to buy more delicious pumpkin pie and gelato. YUM!

On a side note, AMEX took MONTHS! to show up on my reports.

edit: typos

Message 50 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.