Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking for credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

looking for credit cards

I currently have CitiDC and Diamond, Cap One PLatinum and VEnture NFL VISA and various synchrony dual cards and synchrony and comenity store cards. I am gardening. I have a FIco of 648 2 late payments 27 months ago. My highest limit is $6k and I have many inquiries from last summer. Any recommendations on other Visa or MC cards that are not from these issuers that are easy to obtain with decent limits. My AAoA is 3 years, revolving usage is 35% and income is 6 figures. Any advice would be a great help. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: looking for credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have CitiDC and Diamond, Cap One PLatinum and VEnture NFL VISA and various synchrony dual cards and synchrony and comenity store cards. I am gardening. I have a FIco of 648 2 late payments 27 months ago. My highest limit is $6k and I have many inquiries from last summer. Any recommendations on other Visa or MC cards that are not from these issuers that are easy to obtain with decent limits. My AAoA is 3 years, revolving usage is 35% and income is 6 figures. Any advice would be a great help. Thanks!

Welcome to myFICO!  welcome.gif

You've given us some good background info, but to get the best recommendations you'll need to let us know what your goals are in addition to a decent limit... such as low APR, cash rewards, travel rewards, etc.

If you're strictly looking for the best chance at a generous credit line my first thought is NFCU.  Their credit lines are often quite generous even with a less-than-perfect profile (and even if you don't immediatly get what you want, they grow easily and quickly) and they have several different cards to choose from depending on your specific needs (low APR, cash back, dining, etc.).

No matter where you apply you will probably be held back by your 648 FICO, but you're likely already aware of that.  Also, if you can share your score from all three bureaus you'll get more useful replies on here. 

I would also recommend heading over to the 'Rebuilding your Credit' forum for pointers on ways to possibly help improve your scores.  Others will be along shortly to give their input.  Smiley Wink

Again, welcome!  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick response. I also forgot to mention that I have a Discover with $1k. My primary goal is large limits so that my usage looks low, I am not particularly concerned with rewards, but if I can I would prefer cash back. I was declined by Cabela's VIsa recently. I did not know if Barclays may approve another card since I already have the NFL card. I tried pre-qual with Citi and BOA but there were no matches. I do not want to go with something like Credit One as I can not imagine that looks good on your report. Any help is appreciated. 

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe a card like the CSP would be good.
Message 4 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe a card like the CSP would be good.

A CSP would be good, but with a 648 FICO it would be a stretch for sure. 

The OP doesn't tell us which score is 648, but if all three are similar I would personally recommend holding off with Chase until scores improve.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In my opinion, having the Double Cash makes the Venture obsolete, as they're both 2% cards but there's an annual fee on the Venture, and none on the Double Cash.

To get higher limits, I'd recommend waiting until most of your inquiries fall off and your score improves. Ideally, you want your score to be higher than 720 for the best limits. 

Message 6 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think even with your fico, with your income , your best shot at getting a really high cl would be through Navy federal who it seems to the right profile can start people off at like 23 or 24 k even with a non perfect profile.

Other than that getting high limits sometimes takes time and better scores but of course as always YMMVSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In my opinion, having the Double Cash makes the Venture obsolete, as they're both 2% cards but there's an annual fee on the Venture, and none on the Double Cash.

To get higher limits, I'd recommend waiting until most of your inquiries fall off and your score improves. Ideally, you want your score to be higher than 720 for the best limits. 

The Venture has a decent sign-up bonus, that could be the reason for getting the card (compared to Citi DC's no bonus). But past the first year it is definitely not worth it when compared to the DC. However, I'd imagine since its such a small AF card you might be able to get it waived pretty easily if you call and say you want to cancel the card.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.