Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looks like Barclays Barnes & Noble MC has tiers

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

looks like Barclays Barnes & Noble MC has tiers

I called last week for a CLI on my whopping $500 CL and got the "nope." The letter came in yesterday's mail:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your Barnes & Noble MasterCard account issued by Barclays Bank, Delaware.

Unfortunately, your credit card program is not eligible for individually-requested credit line increases. However, we review your account monthly and you may qualify for an automatic credit line increase in the future.

If you have any additional questions or concerns (yada yada)...
This is obviously not true across the board, as MV requested and got a CLI on Mrs. MV's B&N card of the whopping $15K CL. There's the obvious difference between apping with her record and scores, and mine!

I'm guessing this means that if anyone gets an initial silly-low CL on this card, as did I, it means that we are confined to the children's section of the store for the indefinite future. Smiley Surprised Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: looks like Barclays Barnes & Noble MC has tiers

Is asking for a CLI  the no more app version of I didnt inhale.Smiley Wink

Seriously,  6 years ago I had a 300 Capitol 1 card that I never was able to get a CLI on and after several years of trying, I closed it (pre FICO forum that is).   I also have a Sams card that started at $300 and after 2 years, they started to raise the CL and know its 3100.

I would not use the card anymore except to show activity once in awhile since even if you are PIF'ing, they still make money on it.

BTW, the 300 Capitol 1 deal combined with the way they try to get people to exceed their CLIs by offering them muliple low limit cards so they can rake in the fees is why would never do business with Capitol 1.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@marty56 wrote:

Is asking for a CLI  the no more app version of I didnt inhale.Smiley Wink

Yep! Smiley Very Happy

Nah, I plan to let it go as soon as the next statement posts. I'm finally moving into the weeding phase of credit gardening. Heaven knows I have enough healthy TL's reporting now. I'll be glad to have a few less to keep track of.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 15
marty56
Super Contributor

Speaking of weeding, my imfamous BofA account which is 12 years old still shows being open and thus adding to my total available credit even though it should have been cosed during DMP.

What mischief could BoA have in mind for me in keeping it open or di they just drop the ball and its helping me.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 15
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
This is obviously not true across the board, as MV requested and got a CLI on Mrs. MV's B&N card of the whopping $15K CL. There's the obvious difference between apping with her record and scores, and mine!

BTW - that CL of $1K on top of $15K was a mistake on the part of Barclays.  I was actually asking for a CLI on my $7.5K Casey's card.  When I explained that they let DW keep her 1K and gave me 1K as well.  Smiley Very Happy

It still means it is still my lowest CL card, but WTH, $24.5K between them they are worth keeping
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MidnightVoice wrote:

BTW - that CL of $1K on top of $15K was a mistake on the part of Barclays.  I was actually asking for a CLI on my $7.5K Casey's card.  When I explained that they let DW keep her 1K and gave me 1K as well.  Smiley Very Happy

It still means it is still my lowest CL card, but WTH, $24.5K between them they are worth keeping
It's the accent! We already know how well you schmoozed and bedazzled the ladies at your credit union.

Next time I need something from a CCC, I'm getting you to call. Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays...ugh....
My experience is Juniper but still the same.

Don't feel so bad, I got that letter two or three times and my limit is currently $750. It WAS $1000 when it was opened.

But I actually thought they would give me business credit since I have a 754 TU. So Friday I applied. Someone with a 720 got $20,000+ so I thought why not try.

I actually got turned down and one of the reasons is because the little kiddy card.

I fail to see how $750 personal is going to affect a real business line but that's just how they roll.

And top of that they pulled my TU AND EQ.

Message Edited by EddieX on 09-30-2008 01:25 PM
Message 7 of 15
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Nah, I don't feel bad; I was just surprised to get the "your account is not eligible" thing, so I wanted to post this.

I figured they would go with the ever-so-vague "elements on your credit report" or something.

Interesting that for you, they cited their own low CL account as a reason to deny. I've read elsewhere that if lenders see a CL significantly lower than the rest that it spooks them. That's why I've already checked my account twice today to see if my payment has posted. Once it has, buh-bye. Smiley Wink

-Hey, I figure, at least they were honest about it, and I don't have to keep working the poor card to death to try to earn an eensie smile of approval! Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll probably close it but you can't really beat an 8.99% card these days unless you have super uber credit.

I'll probably try a recon though I know it won't change anything. I do have a backdoor number but not sure I even want to deal with it.

Hoping this credit crunch ends soon because when you're a small business and don't have those credit lines available, it can hurt you.
Message 9 of 15
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

EddieX wrote:
Hoping this credit crunch ends soon because when you're a small business and don't have those credit lines available, it can hurt you.

Please post this in some of the "let the super rich fat cats collapse and don't help Wall Street" threads!   Smiley Sad

Unless, of course, you are actually a super rich fat cat who made billions of risky loans  Smiley Very Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.