cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lowering APR - time / spend / FICO - all of the above?

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

lowering APR - time / spend / FICO - all of the above?

Greetings.  A post in two parts:

1) Can anyone advise what parameters are most influential in lowering APR?

Assuming that one has an unblemished payment record, what else is considered -- FICO score?  Spend?  Time as a customer?  Additional criteria?

2) Currently, the non-bonus APRs on my cards range from 11.99 to 25.99 (with 3 of my 4 new cards offering 15 months at 0). 

Assuming that life is as kind as it has been for the past few years and I stay on my current path, I plan to go APR hunting next April, by which time my sole 30-day late will have dropped from my reports and I anticipate 800+ scores.  That said, my highest APR is for a BoA card that is the source of that 30-day late.  Should I expect to be able to negotiate them down as well?

Stated another way -- if a card/bank has older history than what appears on one's current credit report, is it likely to continue to dun you with it?  (And if so, might it make sense to start fresh next April with issuers that I've never dealt with?)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.