Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

managing my credit cards

tag
jg1983
Regular Contributor

managing my credit cards

I started out a couple months ago with two credit cards. Recently I was approved for 3 more. I am looking for recommendations on how to use them to build my credit and which ones should take higher priority. I also want to try for CLIs on them when possible. Here are the cards I have with their limits:

DCU $1000
NFCU cash rewards $1600
Capital One $300
Chase Amazon Prime Rewards $500
Amazon Prime store card $800

I only want to use the cards for purchases I am already planning on making then pay them off right away. The Amazon cards I will use mostly for Amazon purchases but which one should I give priority to? Also any information for how to get CLIs on these cards would be useful.
4 REPLIES 4
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: managing my credit cards

Hi jg
My suggestions due to your CL limits and keeping spend so that maximm reporting is less than 10%:
*NFCU - groceries/restaurants
*DCU - entertainment, movies, etc.
* CapI - Something small & recurring, ex. Hulu/Netflix

Hope this gets you started and on your way to growing FICO scores. Good luck.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 5
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Personally, I would put the Amazon store card ahead of the Chase Amazon. Better rewards on the store card, and optional 0% financing on large purchases.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 3 of 5
Appleman
Valued Contributor

If you have Prime, there is no difference in cash back between the store card and the Chase prime card. Both are now 5%.

If you want to finance something at 0% the store card is the way to go. Reality is it will actually cost you the 5% discount to use their 0% offer.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU may take time to grow

NFCU - plenty of threads on how to grow, it may explode your limit for you

Cap1 - looks like a credit steps card. you can get a CLI possibly after 60-70 days, almost definitely before your step increase, will also get credit steps, and can then try every 6 months to grow

Chase Amazon - don't look for growth

Amazon - I believe is Synchrony backed; could get huge growth here as well

Nurture what you have and they should help you utility go up along with your scores

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.