Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximizing rewards points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

maximizing rewards points

so I'm on the treadmill devising ways to earn points and then it hits me 💡 I'm currently in school and receive several grants and scholarships. just signed up for summer classes and school account reflects balance. idea: pay with CC Venture or PRG then PIF with refund. has anyone done this before? I just don't want to be caught with my pants down.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: maximizing rewards points

I typically keep my pants up on the treadmill!  But, I think your idea is perfect.  I do the same thing with reimbursements from my employer.  

Message 2 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Have you verified that they accept credit cards?  Do they impose a fee?

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

2.7% on Discover, AMEX and MasterCard
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So basically it is stupid then.  Because you won't get 2.7% back in points on any of those cards.  So ultimately you will be spending more.

I wouldn't do it.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So basically it is stupid then.  Because you won't get 2.7% back in points on any of those cards.  So ultimately you will be spending more.

I wouldn't do it.

Unless of course the extra spend would put you over for a sign-up bonus, thus giving you more than 2.7% back on the transaction, then it would be worth it.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't do it.

Unless of course the extra spend would put you over for a sign-up bonus, thus giving you more than 2.7% back on the transaction, then it would be worth it.

Agree.  Going to cost you money otherwise.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

this summer's tuition for example on my PRG would earn me 1346 points at the cost of $36. That in itself is enought to satisfy the $1000 spend for 25k points. seems like a fair hassle free price for 26,000 points.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

50k points.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
this summer's tuition for example on my PRG would earn me 1346 points at the cost of $36. That in itself is enought to satisfy the $1000 spend for 25k points. seems like a fair hassle free price for 26,000 points.

Like I said, if it gets you the bonus then go for it.  Bummer you only got 25k bonus for the PRG.  There's a 50k link out there.  Then it really would have been worth it!

Edit: I guess it is 50k!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.