Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

merrick card?

tag
windyhair
Valued Member

merrick card?

Hey all-

I'm needing some advice here. Since I've started fixing/rebuilding, I've signed up for 2 cards (the only ones I have), the usual cap one and an orchard bank, both $300 limits. I'm using them and paying off every month. I've had the Orchard one for 5 months and the Cap One for just a month. Well, now I go and get a preapproved offer from Merrick. I really don't know anything about them, but have read a few posts here. It's a rebuilding program, $600 cl to begin with, and after 7 months of on-time payments, doubling to $1200. 

What would you do? Stick with what I have and wait? Or go for this one? I'm at a loss here.

from oldest to newest (current limits): CapOne Platinum $1.5//CapOne QS $5.3//Merrick $2.9//USAA Rate Advantage $7//Paypal Credit $2.5//Overstock $5.8//CSP $8//Sallie Mae WMC $4//CapOne Venture $15//Discover It $1.5//USAir $2.5//USAA Rewards $7//Chase Marriott $5//Amazon Prime $5//Nordstrom $2.5//Macy's $600//Belk $600
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: merrick card?

What are the fees?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 2 of 13
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Hello Windy:

If I recall, the Merrick bank MC is a Hooters Card - an excellent (well, very good anyway) card, IMO, for those in the rebuilding their credit stage. I do believe there is a fee ($6 a month sticks out in my mind for some reason). 

In any event, I would go for it. My sister got one of those 3 years ago when I was helping her rebuild. She started out at $300, now she is up to $1500.

Good luck.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 3 of 13
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

I got the exact same offer about a month ago.I also have the same two other cards.After 6 months cap one will probbsly move you to 500. What's your TU score? Reason why I ask is b/c you might can get a Barclayscard.I append with them and was approved for 1,200 and no AF.Merrick card had 50 AF I think?
Message 4 of 13
casmith1980
Established Contributor

IMHO:  You already have two cards with AFs (I'm assuming based on the creditors).  I personally would stay away from another card with an annual fee.  Just keep the two cards you have, garden and then apply for maybe a Barclays that has $0 AF. 

just my two cents.

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 5 of 13
adavis425
Established Contributor

@windyhair wrote:

Hey all-

I'm needing some advice here. Since I've started fixing/rebuilding, I've signed up for 2 cards (the only ones I have), the usual cap one and an orchard bank, both $300 limits. I'm using them and paying off every month. I've had the Orchard one for 5 months and the Cap One for just a month. Well, now I go and get a preapproved offer from Merrick. I really don't know anything about them, but have read a few posts here. It's a rebuilding program, $600 cl to begin with, and after 7 months of on-time payments, doubling to $1200. 

What would you do? Stick with what I have and wait? Or go for this one? I'm at a loss here.

I'd go for Merrick. I got one in my rebuilding stage about 4 years ago. Started at $870 (the amount of a collection account). I paid that down and have gotten auto CLI every 4 months for sometime now. CL now up to $2000. There is an AF. I pay $3 per month which is ok for a $2k limit. I was going to axe them when I went prime, but decided not to. I'd go for it. Good luck!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 6 of 13
GWilliam
Valued Member

I wish my CL would increase from the original $500 from 18 months ago, but at least I don't have an AF! 

Starting Score: EQ 530 TU 550
Current Score: EQ 693 TU 697
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 13
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I've had my Merrick card since 07/2011 and it doubled to $1,400 in February - I haven't had any issues with the card or the customer service - since having the higher credit limit my credit has also singnificantly increased

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
windyhair
Valued Member

Fees are significant- $72/yr. Looks like it's charged at $6/month after the first year but all at once the first year.

from oldest to newest (current limits): CapOne Platinum $1.5//CapOne QS $5.3//Merrick $2.9//USAA Rate Advantage $7//Paypal Credit $2.5//Overstock $5.8//CSP $8//Sallie Mae WMC $4//CapOne Venture $15//Discover It $1.5//USAir $2.5//USAA Rewards $7//Chase Marriott $5//Amazon Prime $5//Nordstrom $2.5//Macy's $600//Belk $600
Message 9 of 13
windyhair
Valued Member

@Juss11 wrote:
I got the exact same offer about a month ago.I also have the same two other cards.After 6 months cap one will probbsly move you to 500. What's your TU score? Reason why I ask is b/c you might can get a Barclayscard.I append with them and was approved for 1,200 and no AF.Merrick card had 50 AF I think?

My TU is 620. I'm just not sure what I would do with a Barclay's card. Seems kind of silly if I'm not an apple user. At all. Of any of their products! (I know, I'm so behind the times.)

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.