cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

military man trying to join the amex family.questions,advice,help.

tag

Re: military man trying to join the amex family.questions,advice,help.

There is no hard limit per say, but the internal limit is based on your spending patterns. So say they start you at 5k, which you can check through your account online with them. You can put certain amounts in to figure out what your internal limit is. if you try spending more than that limit, you must call in to get them to approve. 

If they see you run a lot of purchases through the card, they raise your internal limit so you don't have to call them to approve a large purchase. 

So basically the internal limit is the maximimum amount you can charge at one time without having to call them to get them to approve more. Your spending habits influence this number

22 year old college student
Current Cards:
AMEX BCE 5.8k, AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX Costco TrueEarnings 2k, BOFA Bankamericard Travel Rewards 4.5k, Discover IT 2.5k, Chase Freedom 4.1k, Kay 4.5k
Message 41 of 102
starry1
Valued Contributor

Anything.  Navy Federal has the most generous credit lines by far.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 42 of 102
myjourney
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I have a charge card for personal use and a revolver for business use. I highly recommend that you join navy federal credit union today... I have a card with them; 2 auto loans; an overdraft line of credit.. they are amazing to work with. If you love the idea of rewards do a PRG and use NFCU for revolver.

On a serious note I hear nothing but good things about them great advice great cards CLI the works

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 43 of 102
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I only checked once or twice right before a high amount of purchases. After it said approved for 6k I stopped checking because I literally will never spend 6k on PRG in one month. Basically your internal limit is how much they will let you charge. Obviously they wont let you charge 20k right off the bat but after a few months they may as they get used to your spending patterns
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 44 of 102
mojobones89
Contributor

So basically it's a credit limit that can fluctuate...wjat are the odds of them increasing or decreasing your "internal limit"?seeing that those limits dont report,how does an amex charge help your credit besides an extra account and age?
Message 45 of 102
mojobones89
Contributor

Which do you have?
Message 46 of 102
mojobones89
Contributor

Now your rewards points,do those go towards your statement balance?
Message 47 of 102
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I have the cash rewards visa sig. My husband has the platinum mastercard. Flagship is good because it has no foreign transaction fees. Amex is good because of acceptance in Europe.. Amex loves me and I love them as my go to card. Nfcu is my go to bank. My new car rate is 1.79 .... crazy. They gave me and my husband $100 each for opening IRAs with them $50 min deposit.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 48 of 102
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

You should go for Navy Federal credit union. They do more to craft their products to your financial needs.And you will probably get a $15K limit with your scores.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 49 of 102
mojobones89
Contributor

Really good advice,thank you.
So once last time what do you think my approval ofds are for the prg
Message 50 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.