Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

min payment due = 0?

tag
Learning_Tee0225
Regular Contributor

min payment due = 0?

Quick question when i come across this situation min payment = 0$ should i just not make a payment? or should i do a small 20$amount or something?

Credit recovery journey -Jan 2022
1/2022: TU: 557 EX: 521 EQ: 567
6/2022: TU: 630 EX: 633 EQ:640
Current Cards
Open Sky Secured: $300
Discover IT: $2000
Merrick Bank: 2K
Mission Lane: $800
Forever 21: $600
Apple Card $1500, NFCU Go Rewards $6700, Amazon $600, Kohls $750
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: min payment due = 0?

You don't have to make a payment but if you have a balance and can afford to do so I would.  I see this a lot on my CU MC which I pay at least the minimum due as soon as the statement drops.  Most CCCs won't let you make a payment on a zero balance account, even with pending charges.  Sometimes that makes it tough to play the FICO score game.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 10
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

You don't need to make a payment if you don't want.  You will get a positive CRA update and the end of the billing period.

My cards do this when I pay the full balance before the statement date.  My USAA cards don't charge a minimum payment if I pay a large amount over my minimum the previous month.  You are good.  You could pay to lower your balances, but that would be the only reason.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 3 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@marty56 wrote:

You don't have to make a payment but if you have a balance and can afford to do so I would.  I see this a lot on my CU MC which I pay at least the minimum due as soon as the statement drops.  Most CCCs won't let you make a payment on a zero balance account, even with pending charges.  Sometimes that makes it tough to play the FICO score game.

Heh, you just use the one card you plan to have in the <10% bracket in the last week of the statement cycle, no biggie unless you have a card which isn't accepted in various places like Discover in my neck of the urban sprawl.

To the OP: as someone else suggested, if you have a balance, and have the resources to do so, it makes financial sense to just pay it now.  Usually you get a payment of 0 because you've already paid earlier in the cycle, or you perhaps overpaid previously (which I do routinely and Orchard seems to count it differently than BOFA).  Personally I almost always chuck $20 dollars in a given month regardless of what's actually due if I have a balance on the card.

        
Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I use to see this with Home Depot all the time when in the 0% APR

Bill Me Later does this a lot too

and as other said CU - Navy does.

If you have 0% APR and they want to let you skip the payment, if you have other credit card debt, put that $25-$50 payment towards a card you have interest... just be sure you are checking each month that it is $0 payment do.

Message 5 of 10
Learning_Tee0225
Regular Contributor

thanks guys i guess since im trying to build healthy habits i'll make a pymnt regardless to stay in the flow of things 

thanks again!

Credit recovery journey -Jan 2022
1/2022: TU: 557 EX: 521 EQ: 567
6/2022: TU: 630 EX: 633 EQ:640
Current Cards
Open Sky Secured: $300
Discover IT: $2000
Merrick Bank: 2K
Mission Lane: $800
Forever 21: $600
Apple Card $1500, NFCU Go Rewards $6700, Amazon $600, Kohls $750
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't have to make a payment  but if your able to both yourself and the system i.e. some systems won't accept a payment when your payment do is zero then you should always try to pay it down!

Message 7 of 10
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

I would suggest you read the Term & Conditions of your Agreement regarding making payments.

Message 8 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Anytime you come across a $0 min. pymt. on a statement that means your prior statement was paid in full. You dont have to make a payment but it is always in your best interest to pay on it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:
Anytime you come across a $0 min. pymt. on a statement that means your prior statement was paid in full. You dont have to make a payment but it is always in your best interest to pay on it.

Payments get reported to the bureaus.  It may or may not make a difference to FICO, but I can't see where it's hurt and it might help on any internal underwriting criteria.  

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.