cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mini app spree....limited success. Advice?

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

mini app spree....limited success. Advice?

OK, hit the cap1 love button for a $500 cli. Well, I guess I got greedy and decided to app for the Chase freedom. I have contemplated this for along time, given my history. I was denied for a CSP last year, because at the time I didn't realize that I wasn't qualified credit wise for such a card.

My utilization is high on my cap1 but I figured it would be about 6 months before I could start paying that off. Well, I bit the bullet and apped for the Chase freedom.

OK, instant approval for $500.

Now, I know this is a toy limit, but I was told online that I can recon for a higher limit when I receive the card. I don't want to ramble on here, but my ultimate goal is the CSP. That is the card for me that will let me know that I have made it. It may not be much for the high rollers here, but it's a big deal to me.

Should I recon for a higher limit? My income is 28k, but should be a lot higher in a couple of months (i'm taking on extra work). My thinking is, take good care of the freedom, and with cli and time (i'm thinking about 1 year) I'm hoping to get approved for a CSP.

Next, I have been an AMEX cardholder since 2005. I had the gold card, but closed it around 2007. I opened up the Zync over a year ago. perfect history. I apped for the AMEX delta 4 months ago and was denied. I decided to app for the BCE and was told "there are system issues right now. please check back later." I waited about an hour and checked the application status page and it's not on there. It did take me a  long time to put the application through. The site was freezing up and I had to try it about 3 times before the app was submitted. Am I just not qualified for an AMEX revolver? I really want one for the 3x cli after 61 days, in hope of building up my credit profile. Things are starting to pick up for me work wise, and I will have a lot of work travel costs.

my fico scores are 675 EX and 668 TU. 19 years of credit history, AAoA is 9 years. Utilization around 60%. Any advice on the AMEX revolver?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: mini app spree....limited success. Advice?

@shasta wrote:

OK, hit the cap1 love button for a $500 cli. Well, I guess I got greedy and decided to app for the Chase freedom. I have contemplated this for along time, given my history. I was denied for a CSP last year, because at the time I didn't realize that I wasn't qualified credit wise for such a card.

My utilization is high on my cap1 but I figured it would be about 6 months before I could start paying that off. Well, I bit the bullet and apped for the Chase freedom.

OK, instant approval for $500.

Now, I know this is a toy limit, but I was told online that I can recon for a higher limit when I receive the card. I don't want to ramble on here, but my ultimate goal is the CSP. That is the card for me that will let me know that I have made it. It may not be much for the high rollers here, but it's a big deal to me.

Should I recon for a higher limit? My income is 28k, but should be a lot higher in a couple of months (i'm taking on extra work). My thinking is, take good care of the freedom, and with cli and time (i'm thinking about 1 year) I'm hoping to get approved for a CSP.

Next, I have been an AMEX cardholder since 2005. I had the gold card, but closed it around 2007. I opened up the Zync over a year ago. perfect history. I apped for the AMEX delta 4 months ago and was denied. I decided to app for the BCE and was told "there are system issues right now. please check back later." I waited about an hour and checked the application status page and it's not on there. It did take me a  long time to put the application through. The site was freezing up and I had to try it about 3 times before the app was submitted. Am I just not qualified for an AMEX revolver? I really want one for the 3x cli after 61 days, in hope of building up my credit profile. Things are starting to pick up for me work wise, and I will have a lot of work travel costs.

my fico scores are 675 EX and 668 TU. 19 years of credit history, AAoA is 9 years. Utilization around 60%. Any advice on the AMEX revolver?

Congrats on the chase and check the app status again for Amex

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Utilization appears to be on the high end.  For optimal results with AMEX revolvers, lower your overall utilization.

Message 3 of 9
eviLution
Established Contributor

Get your utilization down to 1-20% and you might have a chance. I would never app for new cards with utilization that's over 10%, but that's just me though.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 4 of 9
shasta
Regular Contributor

fwiw, i had my utilization down to 10% earlier this year when i apped for the AMEX delta. I was still not approved

I know ymmv, but would a credit score over 700 help more? I do have a long history with them, can't figure it out.

Also, any advice on the Chase recon?

Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@shasta wrote:

fwiw, i had my utilization down to 10% earlier this year when i apped for the AMEX delta. I was still not approved

I know ymmv, but would a credit score over 700 help more? I do have a long history with them, can't figure it out.

You can try but it will probably be another HP YMMV

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@shasta wrote:

Everyone's experience will vary with AMEX of course.  However, usually if it's a clean file with a decent score north of 700, low utilization/balances in check, no recent apps/new accounts, then your chances would fare better.

Chase reconsideration efforts for CLI will result in another HP - with no guarantee they will provide anything substantial if your current utilization is high.

Message 7 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@eviLution wrote:
Get your utilization down to 1-20% and you might have a chance. I would never app for new cards with utilization that's over 10%, but that's just me though.

+1  You'll get more favorable results on your apps with much lowered utilization.  With ~80% utll Chase gave me $2K on a card app.  With <1%, $25K.  No other changes to my credit -- utilization was just holding me back.  I'm not saying your credit is in the same situation but just demonstrating how much of an effect util can have.  Definitely get utlization down and make sure it is reported before you apply for anything.

Message 8 of 9
ps3451

Takeshi is speaking truth. I actually work for Ch@$e in the CC dept. I receive calls from branch employees when customer's go in for CC help/quesions. I look at apps. A huge thing, especially w/the CSP is utilization. This bank isn't as easy to get approved as others (even for an employee, fyi). But keep up the good work, you're on the right path!

Starting Score: TU 671 - EQ 664 b>
Current Score: TU 680 - EQ 675
Goal Score: font> 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.