Contributor
kiasmith1974

more advice on secured cards please

So the boards have given the advice that I should add a secured cc to my rebuilding efforts....first a little background on me...

active rebuild just began 5 months ago with my cap 1 card (300) i just added a cap 1 cash rewards card this month (500)as well as the Fingerhut fresh start program (250)

I am in a repayment program for 2 student loans that are reporting closed non paid with 180 lates. also have a bk from 2008, a judgement, and a charged off first premier card that is being reported by oc and ca (disputing and dv as we speak)

the current card is reporting at %30 uti and the other two cards are not reporting yet

I have an extra $500 coming to me in a couple weeks and the plan was to open a secured loan at my credit union....i posted this in another thread and the feedback was that i should go with a secured card instead. I checked with the cu and although this is an option, they only report to equifax! no good to me as i need it to report to all three.

my second thought was to go through my bank wells fargo, but i have also been hearing negative things about them not doing cli's.

the only other options would be to try B of A or CAP 1.

I've had a bad relationship with b of a in the past and they reported me to chex systems, but i still have a savings account open with them....since both of my other cc's are cap 1 is this a good, bad or null idea???

i don't want to waste any inq's and need to know what to do with the $$ once it is in my hand so i make sure it is put to good use....

any advice??? My Fico is around 600 TU is 565 and EX is 575

Starting FICO 485
Myfico 635 (3/01/14)
EX FAKO 667 EQ 697 Barclaycard TU 707 4/27/14 (yea!)
Mortgage Ready End of 2015
Established Contributor
distantarray

Re: more advice on secured cards please

Digital credit union. www.DCU.org  you need to do a $10 donation to go in, but they're a great credit union that'll rebuild with you. also best part is you get a 100% FREE Fico04 score (same one they sell on here) every month with your monthly statements. potentially saving you $240 a year (if scorewatch or pulled once a month)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Contributor
kiasmith1974

wow the score is a plus! thank you i will look into this

Starting FICO 485
Myfico 635 (3/01/14)
EX FAKO 667 EQ 697 Barclaycard TU 707 4/27/14 (yea!)
Mortgage Ready End of 2015
Senior Contributor
Wolf3

kiasmith1974 wrote:

So the boards have given the advice that I should add a secured cc to my rebuilding efforts....first a little background on me...

active rebuild just began 5 months ago with my cap 1 card (300) i just added a cap 1 cash rewards card this month (500)as well as the Fingerhut fresh start program (250)

I am in a repayment program for 2 student loans that are reporting closed non paid with 180 lates. also have a bk from 2008, a judgement, and a charged off first premier card that is being reported by oc and ca (disputing and dv as we speak)

the current card is reporting at %30 uti and the other two cards are not reporting yet

I have an extra $500 coming to me in a couple weeks and the plan was to open a secured loan at my credit union....i posted this in another thread and the feedback was that i should go with a secured card instead. I checked with the cu and although this is an option, they only report to equifax! no good to me as i need it to report to all three.

my second thought was to go through my bank wells fargo, but i have also been hearing negative things about them not doing cli's.

the only other options would be to try B of A or CAP 1.

I've had a bad relationship with b of a in the past and they reported me to chex systems, but i still have a savings account open with them....since both of my other cc's are cap 1 is this a good, bad or null idea???

i don't want to waste any inq's and need to know what to do with the $$ once it is in my hand so i make sure it is put to good use....

any advice??? My Fico is around 600 TU is 565 and EX is 575

You already have 3 CC's.   There is no point in opening a securd CC for credit building.   If you are planning a big deposit to help with future CL, that helps some of the time.    A secured loan can help if you have no installment loans on your CR.  if so I would consider that with someone who reports to all 3.  I think that money could be better spent on other things(open a IRA maybe)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}