Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

most unfriendly inactivity creditors

tag
Weights
Regular Contributor

most unfriendly inactivity creditors

I know the general consensus is to use a credit card at least once every six months or so to avoid closure for this reason.   I'm also aware that policies seem to differ between individual creditors as to when they'd take this action if nonuse persists.  That said, I'm curious as to which creditors, from your experience, would be the quickest to take this action.  The only one I've had do this to me in the past was HSBC with a retail account.  I don't remeber which one it was, but I didn't use it for three months, and it was closed by them.  Oh well, their customer service was not that good anyways, so no loss there. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: most unfriendly inactivity creditors

Barclays clearly states it may be closed for 90 days of inactivity. Its why I dont have a card from them.

Message 2 of 6
iloverewards
Valued Member

Just to provide a data point, i didn't use my NFL extra points card for a year and my account was not closed.  However, they didn't let me PC to priceline a few weeks ago even though they said it's an easier card to qualify for. They said if I applied, I'd probably get it but they can't PC it. Whatever! They also wouldn't give me a credit limit increase even though I've always PIF. Whatever! Smiley Tongue

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 3 of 6
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Probably GE and (previously mentioned) Barclays. With GE, I had a card that I had never used, and it was cancelled after about a year. Once, I let Walmart go over 6 months without use, and they lowered the limit to 124. I used the card for something small, and they raised the limit back to where it was. I called in and was told that when they lower a limit to amounts ending in 24, it is some kind of code for a pending closure. This was a few years ago.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 6
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

I'm assuming if the card has an annual fee inactivity isn't an issue right?  

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Hockeyplayrr wrote:

I'm assuming if the card has an annual fee inactivity isn't an issue right?  

That is a good bet, they will want to collect their fee. I would not keep a card open that had an AF if I wasnt going to use it, would not be worth it.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.