Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple hard inquiries from Barclay and Chase

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

multiple hard inquiries from Barclay and Chase

I apped for both the Chase and the Barclay card at the same time, around 2 years ago. Whenever I checked my credit report in the last 2 years, I only saw the  initial inquiries from when I first got the card.

Checked my report yesterday and I saw 8 hard inquiries from Chase and Barclay. The hard inquiries were spread out over several months during the last 2 years.

Why were't those inquiries showing up whenever I checked my report 1 1/2 years ago, 1 year ago, etc.?

I haven't spoken to them in 2 years and I've never asked for a CLI or anything. I know that companies are constantly reviewing our accounts, but I thought those were soft.

Anyone have experience with this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: multiple hard inquiries from Barclay and Chase

There should never be hard inquiries unless you apply for credit or a CLI. 

Message 2 of 7
shasta
Regular Contributor

Can i dispute the inquiries? They are obviously incorrect

Message 3 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@shasta wrote:

I apped for both the Chase and the Barclay card at the same time, around 2 years ago. Whenever I checked my credit report in the last 2 years, I only saw the  initial inquiries from when I first got the card.

Checked my report yesterday and I saw 8 hard inquiries from Chase and Barclay. The hard inquiries were spread out over several months during the last 2 years.

Why were't those inquiries showing up whenever I checked my report 1 1/2 years ago, 1 year ago, etc.?

I haven't spoken to them in 2 years and I've never asked for a CLI or anything. I know that companies are constantly reviewing our accounts, but I thought those were soft.

Anyone have experience with this?

I'm assuming you're not looking at any other inquiry section, like promotional inquiry, account review etc. The report will say in those cases that those inquiries can't be seen by others.

(a) Since I can't see your report, I'm not sure how it looks. But is it something like this:

Hard Inquiry by  Chase on Aug 2014. This is not visible on say the report you pulled in Dec 2014 but comes up in say Jul 2015? 

If it is, it's very odd. 

Are you part of any monitorining service, like on here or say Credit Karma? I know that on CK, you can access weekly reports. They list your inquiries as well. See if you see the same anomaly there.

It could be a technical glitch that the bureaus in question should resolve. You might have to file a dispute with them supplying the copy of your old report and the new one.

(b) If the inquiries have been added in the months between your last report download and this one, and you didn't apply for new credit, there are three possibilities:

(i) You applied for credit limit increases, and both Chase and Barclays do HPs for those

(ii) You didn't apply for anything. Some technical glitch in the bureaus added them. Dispute them.

(iii) You might be a victim of identity theft. Check with the banks first if somebody opened a card using your SSN on those days that you don't remember asking for any credit.

Other members could chime in please.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

of course you can. after 12 months most institutions can't do anything about them but you can dispute them through the bureau and they can help you.
Message 5 of 7
happypill
Valued Contributor

That's very strange and it's something that you definitely need to follow up on.  First, you need to be sure that they are hard inquiries (just double checking).  If they are, and you don't know how they originated, it could be that someone has your info and has been trying to apply for credit using your info.  I guess it could be something else as well, but that's what I would be most concerned about.

Message 6 of 7
shasta
Regular Contributor

i have the myfico credit monitoring program. I was just curious about my inquiries, so I checked my credit report. It says inquiries and shows all of them. Barclay did one in 2013 when I first got the card, then 4 months later shows another inquiry, then 6 months later another one and so forth.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.