Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my plan...

tag
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

my plan...

because of my recent sucess with the CSP and United cards. I have decided to take a step back from the forums for a few months and garden my cards. but I find my self wanting to stray i will hop back on so you all can talk me out of it. But during this time I plan on puring useless cards. the first one to go will be macys got it to get 20% off purchase but coupons they send me are useless because i can buy what i want and APR is to high. next will be ZYNC because no need for 2 charge cards. i may even cancel green before AF hits because i have two cards now with an AF... 

next to be axed will be Cap1 (23% APR), Home depot (29% APR), BoA (15% APR) and BBY (22% APR and will not move limit). I plan on closing alot of cards just not all at once because i know that looks bad. But i plan on alot of pruning this year because of these two great cards i got... 

I will stay on for just a few days more just to see thoughts on this. 

I also see no need for any other card because to behonest. I have moved towards Chase for all banking needs and will be with them for years to come. Chase has given me all my cards that i have wanted and more and their CSR is top notch the best i have ever had. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: my plan...

As many have mentioned, Afbar, why close perfectly good cards when they'll help you in the long run?  Put a charge on some of them every 3 months or so to keep them open and enjoy the benefits as they age.  Seeing so many closed accounts may or may not be detrimental to future lenders on manual review.  If you're not paying an AF then why close them? 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 2 of 39
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

I understand your feelings and congratulate you on your success. 

another thing your going to have to consider is how much of those limits are you willing to give up (zync doesnt apply here) 

sure the apr is high but if you dont carry a balance its not a big deal. 

but i agree too closing out af cards you dont use. 

otherwise sd and dont worry about them, set a reminder to use them once every three months, and get something you would have gotten anyways. 

ive had my macys card for 2 1\2 years and have gone 6 months without using it, and its still open today. what started at 100 dollars is now 3500, and helps out my util greatly. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 3 of 39
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

because of my recent sucess with the CSP and United cards. I have decided to take a step back from the forums for a few months and garden my cards. but I find my self wanting to stray i will hop back on so you all can talk me out of it. But during this time I plan on puring useless cards. the first one to go will be macys got it to get 20% off purchase but coupons they send me are useless because i can buy what i want and APR is to high. next will be ZYNC because no need for 2 charge cards. i may even cancel green before AF hits because i have two cards now with an AF... 

next to be axed will be Cap1 (23% APR), Home depot (29% APR), BoA (15% APR) and BBY (22% APR and will not move limit). I plan on closing alot of cards just not all at once because i know that looks bad. But i plan on alot of pruning this year because of these two great cards i got... 

I also see no need for any other card because to behonest. I have moved towards Chase for all banking needs and will be with them for years to come. Chase has given me all my cards that i have wanted and more and their CSR is top notch the best i have ever had. 

I dont think its a good idea to cancel all your card and its ""might"" look bad if you had too many cards .Its only look bad to the point you max out your card and can't even make a minimum payment. I agree with you to cancel your Green Card when the AF hit since you had the CSP and there no need for $99 AF.

I would suggest keep all the card that not came with AF. Keep it and let its all age.

• They help your Uti % purpose .
  • Age of history
  • Cancel all your higher APR card not going to help you with anything. You can keep it and used it maybe 1 every 3 months and not worry about anything.
  • Try a product change to a better product with CAp or BOA.....etc..... and negotiate the APR with them.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 39
beb86
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

@afbar1114 wrote:

I dont think its a good idea to cancel all your card and its ""might"" look bad if you had too many cards .Its only look bad to the point you max out your card and can't even make a minimum payment. I agree with you to cancel your Green Card when the AF hit since you had the CSP and there no need for $99 AF.

I would suggest keep all the card that not came with AF. Keep it and let its all age.

• They help your Uti % purpose .
  • Age of history
  • Cancel all your higher APR card not going to help you with anything. You can keep it and used it maybe 1 every 3 months and not worry about anything.
  • Try a product change to a better product with CAp or BOA.....etc..... and negotiate the APR with them.

he isnt closing all his cards just the ones that no longer meet his needs....

Message 5 of 39
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

he isnt closing all his cards just the ones that no longer meet his needs....

Its look like he wanna closed most of his card but those 2 card CSP + United that he just approved.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 39
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

I think you got a good plan.  And the plan is what YOU feel is best.  What YOU think it right.  The BEST financial decsions are the ones that make sense for YOU.

But anyways.  I agree, the store cards got to go.  I don't have store cards, but I get emails from the stores I frequent.  And Saving xx% through their email offers, does entice me, but  I never give in.  I only take advantage if i need to buy something.  So why bother with a store card if you aren't going to buy or plan to buy from them soon.

For your other cards, I might close the ones that have AFs if you aren't going to use them.  But I would CUT UP (or SD) the other cards and then close them at a later date (maybe 6 months from now) so that you can gain more history.  But I would totally close the ones you KNOW you want to close and won't use.

And I say CUT UP, as in phyiscally destroy, the cards instead of SD'ing them so that you aren't enticed to keep them open/use them.  You can cut them up anytime, but you don't have to close them right away.

Message 7 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:

I would recommend not putting all your faith in Chase. If they get scared by something you do and close your accounts you will be out of luck.

The zync seems like a "cool" card to keep since you can't get it any more.

What's wrong with your BofA card? It may grow with you.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 8 of 39
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

I'm not going to ever use zync again why keep it?
AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 9 of 39
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@afbar1114 wrote:
I'm not going to ever use zync again why keep it?

If you ever have a utilization problem, it is a good way to hide everyday spending.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.