cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my purchase was denied

tag
fledgling

Re: my purchase was denied

There are many, many perfectly legal things that are unethical.

Message 41 of 63
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@accidentalpancake wrote:

I'm sure there are some better examples, but this sort of activity in regards to earning bonuses from credit card companies is akin to fraud. Very different circumstance, imo.

Definitely not fraud or anything close to being illegal.  Let us keep everything in perspective.  Just because a CC company doesn't want you doing something doesn't make it fraud, unethical, illegal or anything close.

It was my understanding that this sort of spending is limited by most TOS agreements. If it's addressed, then I'd have to believe that it would be considered fraudulent. Not in a criminal way, but certainly cause for adverse action.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 42 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

We are all adults here and if you feel you are getting away with something then chances are it's the wrong thing to do.

If someone needs to scam the system, cheat, lie, steal or take short cuts, they seriously lack integrity.

I am always amused by the way these discussions tend to bring out the holier-than-thou mental state!  Do you, for example, never speed, and always pay use tax on out of state purchases.   Or are these different in some non-obvious way

I'm not holier-than-thou.  Last time I checked going over the speed limit is a ticket not a crime but a moving violation and I know the consequences but fraud is fraud any way you look at it,

In fact I do pay use tax personally and we do for the business because of the nature of business that I'm in.  I'm not saying I always did when I was younger.

LT, you at least can come up with better examples.

MS isn't a crime either.  Speeding, is certainly potentially dangerous to others, a bigger risk than MS.   Speed limits are there for a reason, and if you think it's OK to cheat, well...... as someone said....!

Message 43 of 63
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure there are some better examples, but this sort of activity in regards to earning bonuses from credit card companies is akin to fraud. Very different circumstance, imo.

Definitely not fraud or anything close to being illegal.  Let us keep everything in perspective.  Just because a CC company doesn't want you doing something doesn't make it fraud, unethical, illegal or anything close.

It was my understanding that this sort of spending is limited by most TOS agreements. If it's addressed, then I'd have to believe that it would be considered fraudulent. Not in a criminal way, but certainly cause for adverse action.

In the cases I am aware of, the TOS state that rewards will not be earned on these things, in the same way as they are not earned on cash advances or balance transfers.

The spend itself is not forbidden (the issuer wants the transaction fee).    But yes, they can close the card if they feel you are trying to "abuse" the system, but as we know from multiple posts, issuers close cards for all sorts of reasons, e.g. all the Barclays threads.

Message 44 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In the cases I am aware of, the TOS state that rewards will not be earned on these things, in the same way as they are not earned on cash advances or balance transfers.

The spend itself is not forbidden (the issuer wants the transaction fee).    But yes, they can close the card if they feel you are trying to "abuse" the system, but as we know from multiple posts, issuers close cards for all sorts of reasons, e.g. all the Barclays threads.

MS is not illegal. You are pretty much taking advantage of the system that they have implemented. Does it bring any harm to anyone? Absolutely not. I did not endanger anyone's life by MS. I'm simply gaining rewards faster than others and getting ahead of the game because I'm thinking outside of the box just like many others who are doing just the same thing. I think the thing you are thinking about it when people steal other people's cc and buy GC. Now that is stealing and a crime! 

Message 45 of 63
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's how I've always considered it. I'm not going to say someone is a bad person, but obviously gaming the system to meet spend can mess it up for everyone else, which is where my qualms lie. That, and I'm not sure I'd want to risk getting blacklisted by a company with which I'm hoping to earn miles/points.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 46 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly not illegal, unethical...yes. If enough people start using MS we can all kiss our reward cards goodbye. That's where I find fault...don't ruin things for the rest of us getting rewards the "honest way".
Message 47 of 63
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, for something not supposed to be discussed here the first couple of pages seem to be about such no no Smiley Wink Interesting read nonthelessSmiley Happy
Message 48 of 63
dragontears
Senior Contributor

I find it rather interesting that this topic is considered "unethical" because it is a violation of implied TOS and other direct violation of TOS (i.e. using a business card for personal expenses) is considered "ok" because "everyone does it" and some bloggers endorse it.
Message 49 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you're given opporunities and you don't utilize it... misssed opporunities there. But yes, if we all did it, there wouldn't be a reward system anymore. 

Message 50 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.