Valued Contributor
juggalo9er

my take on barclay bt checks

Barclay has mailed me a total of 4 balance transger checks in 2 months time, with the newest batch offering a cli equal to the sum of the check. Setting aside the fact that i have a 0% promo for 6 months with them i have thought of a plan so to speak after the promo expires. The checks i recieve always offer 0% interest for one year with a 3% fee and state i can write it to myself, with this being said my line of thinking suggest i should write the check to myself deposit it, and use my debit card to process the transaction as it would essectially make the transaction interest free for 1 year. curious on anyone elses thoughts on this....keep in mind i plan on buying a 57 inch television that cost $799 in around three months.

the beatings will continue until moral improves Wal-Mart lowes, quicksilver, nasa, forum, Indiana members, nfcu, Barclay, upromise

id/2760iB9166C1A493A3CBC" width="50" border="0">
Valued Contributor
FinStar

Re: my take on barclay bt checks

juggalo9er wrote:

Barclay has mailed me a total of 4 balance transger checks in 2 months time, with the newest batch offering a cli equal to the sum of the check. Setting aside the fact that i have a 0% promo for 6 months with them i have thought of a plan so to speak after the promo expires. The checks i recieve always offer 0% interest for one year with a 3% fee and state i can write it to myself, with this being said my line of thinking suggest i should write the check to myself deposit it, and use my debit card to process the transaction as it would essectially make the transaction interest free for 1 year. curious on anyone elses thoughts on this....keep in mind i plan on buying a 57 inch television that cost $799 in around three months.

Well for one, they're practically giving your a CLI without an HP (you've already been SP'd - hence the promo).  It does come with the 3% cost but would be a good way to CLI to the maximum amount offered.  Of course, depending on which Barclays product you have the only thing you may miss out on is the rewards/points (if any).  So, rewards/points or CLI?  Hmmm...

I've heard of folks who write themselves the BT check (incur the BT fee), deposit into checking/savings and turn around withing a few weeks and PIF, then make the intended purchase on the next statement cycle with the higher CL to take advantage of rewards/points then PIF.  While others have done what you've suggested to take advantage of the 0% APR for a short duration of the promotion.  Matter of preference I suppose depending on what you value most. 

Valued Contributor
djc1puno

Re: my take on barclay bt checks

FinStar wrote:

juggalo9er wrote:

Well for one, they're practically giving your a CLI without an HP (you've already been SP'd - hence the promo).  It does come with the 3% cost but would be a good way to CLI to the maximum amount offered.  Of course, depending on which Barclays product you have the only thing you may miss out on is the rewards/points (if any).  So, rewards/points or CLI?  Hmmm...

I've heard of folks who write themselves the BT check (incur the BT fee), deposit into checking/savings and turn around withing a few weeks and PIF, then make the intended purchase on the next statement cycle with the higher CL to take advantage of rewards/points then PIF.  While others have done what you've suggested to take advantage of the 0% APR for a short duration of the promotion.  Matter of preference I suppose depending on what you value most. 

+1

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}