Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my take on barclay bt checks

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

my take on barclay bt checks

Barclay has mailed me a total of 4 balance transger checks in 2 months time, with the newest batch offering a cli equal to the sum of the check. Setting aside the fact that i have a 0% promo for 6 months with them i have thought of a plan so to speak after the promo expires. The checks i recieve always offer 0% interest for one year with a 3% fee and state i can write it to myself, with this being said my line of thinking suggest i should write the check to myself deposit it, and use my debit card to process the transaction as it would essectially make the transaction interest free for 1 year. curious on anyone elses thoughts on this....keep in mind i plan on buying a 57 inch television that cost $799 in around three months.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: my take on barclay bt checks

@juggalo9er wrote:

Barclay has mailed me a total of 4 balance transger checks in 2 months time, with the newest batch offering a cli equal to the sum of the check. Setting aside the fact that i have a 0% promo for 6 months with them i have thought of a plan so to speak after the promo expires. The checks i recieve always offer 0% interest for one year with a 3% fee and state i can write it to myself, with this being said my line of thinking suggest i should write the check to myself deposit it, and use my debit card to process the transaction as it would essectially make the transaction interest free for 1 year. curious on anyone elses thoughts on this....keep in mind i plan on buying a 57 inch television that cost $799 in around three months.

Well for one, they're practically giving your a CLI without an HP (you've already been SP'd - hence the promo).  It does come with the 3% cost but would be a good way to CLI to the maximum amount offered.  Of course, depending on which Barclays product you have the only thing you may miss out on is the rewards/points (if any).  So, rewards/points or CLI?  Hmmm...

I've heard of folks who write themselves the BT check (incur the BT fee), deposit into checking/savings and turn around withing a few weeks and PIF, then make the intended purchase on the next statement cycle with the higher CL to take advantage of rewards/points then PIF.  While others have done what you've suggested to take advantage of the 0% APR for a short duration of the promotion.  Matter of preference I suppose depending on what you value most. 

Message 2 of 3
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: my take on barclay bt checks

@FinStar wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

Well for one, they're practically giving your a CLI without an HP (you've already been SP'd - hence the promo).  It does come with the 3% cost but would be a good way to CLI to the maximum amount offered.  Of course, depending on which Barclays product you have the only thing you may miss out on is the rewards/points (if any).  So, rewards/points or CLI?  Hmmm...

I've heard of folks who write themselves the BT check (incur the BT fee), deposit into checking/savings and turn around withing a few weeks and PIF, then make the intended purchase on the next statement cycle with the higher CL to take advantage of rewards/points then PIF.  While others have done what you've suggested to take advantage of the 0% APR for a short duration of the promotion.  Matter of preference I suppose depending on what you value most. 

+1

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.