Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

neiman marcus

tag
in0wh3r3ul1v3
New Contributor

neiman marcus

this post is neither here nor there, but i just got home from a trip to neiman marcus. now, i normally don't shop at "needless markup" but i've been eyeing a new wallet recently, and decided to stop in to buy one. after 15 minutes of having the salesman convince me that i need a plaid prada wallet, i was ready to buy. then he got me with a kicker:

"we don't take visa."

i never thought i'd hear that in my life. he said they only take amex and their store card. **bleep**? is visa too plebeian? embarrassing... guess i don't need a new wallet.

can't wait until i get my new amex in the mail.

Macy's Red Star - $5100 (1/2010)
AMEX Everyday - $9000 (1/2011 Backdated)
AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL
Chase Amazon Prime - $8900 (11/2011)
Lowe's/SYNCB - $6500 (7/2014)
J. Crew/CB - $3500 (2/2015)
Target REDcard - $500 (11/2015)
Citi AAdvantage - $4000 (6/2016)
Chase United MileagePlus - $5000 (2/2017)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: neiman marcus

so what do they take? AMEX only? MC/Discover?

I did smirked when I read they didn't take your Visa, **bleep** indeed lol

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL that's been their policy forever. Back sometime in 01 or 02 I was told that they only take Amex because American express is 'The only processing network that won't sell their customer's data'. Whether there is any truth behind that I have no idea.
Message 3 of 8
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Sounds like Costco...  AMEX or Cash..  Smiley Happy

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 4 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Nieman Marcus Store Card (now HSBC, soon to be Captial One)

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

This is  how I got my Neiman Marcus Card when I was 18 because I went to buy some Jeans and a Shirt and handed him my Quicken MC... 

Cash, Check, American Express and Neiman Marcus or Bergdorf Card are your options for purchasing.

It's a fairly easy card to obtain, usually lowest starting limit is $700, if declined sales associate calls in and I think I was only told 1 when calling in that they wouldn't overturn the decline (I worked at Neiman Marcus for almost 2 years) they know a lot of time if they say no to open that card they are also going to loose the sale at the store level, which is not good business for them and terrible business for me as a sales associate on commission!

Unless you call in you also won't know your CL, they do assign you one but if you hit it or look to charge over they may increase you or usually let you go over by 20%... however this may have changed this year because I recently got a letter warning of over credit limit charge.

They had a Amex Neiman Marcus through HSBC for like 3-6 months and then they cancelled it and moved back to just store card, wish they would do that again... surprised they don't considering Saks has the Visa.

Message 6 of 8
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like my first Sam's Club trip the other day...tried my Amex, no luck, tried my Visa, didn't work because it was Visa credit. They only take Cash, Check, Store Card, Discover, and Master Card.

Message 7 of 8
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

I had an account with them years ago just because they only took cash/amex/store card.  It was worth it when they had their big sales. 

Does anyone if they ever have promtional sales for card only purchases (like Macy's)?  They didn't used to, but most stores didn't back then.  I've been eyeing a new winter coat and they carry it.  

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.