Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new AmEx holder and where not to use card question

tag
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: new AmEx holder and where not to use card question

@Networth wrote:

So true, most wealthy individuals did not become that way by shopping only at "high end" stores. My grandfather just bought a house on Nantucket, he than proceeded to furnish the entire pool house, patio, and garage buy purchasing things online from none other than Walmart(bikes, grill, shelves etc) while paying with a Centurion. Amex does not assume because you shop at Walmart here and there for some cheaper stuff that your going poor. On a side note you don't have to be the "Christian right" to shop at a discount store, you know what they say about assumptions....

Exactly. And my inlaws do shop at some nice stores as well, but the majority of the small stuff is purchased at those discount stores. 

As a friendly reminder, we should leave politics out of our discussions as it is against the TOS

Posting to FICO Forums

Users of FICO Forums agree not to upload, post, or otherwise transmit any content (including but not limited to text, links, communications, software, images, sounds, data, or other information) that includes any of the following inappropriate content:

• Discussions including race, nationality, sex, religion, politics;

Message 31 of 36
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Networth wrote:

So true, most wealthy individuals did not become that way by shopping only at "high end" stores. My grandfather just bought a house on Nantucket, he than proceeded to furnish the entire pool house, patio, and garage buy purchasing things online from none other than Walmart(bikes, grill, shelves etc) while paying with a Centurion. Amex does not assume because you shop at Walmart here and there for some cheaper stuff that your going poor. On a side note you don't have to be the "Christian right" to shop at a discount store, you know what they say about assumptions....

I do apologise if my statement on that seemed political or stereotypical, it was not meant to be politically conversational, just the best way to sum up the type of places to avoid using your Amex if you haven't made a habit of it before.

And to source what I'm saying (a practise American Express acknowledges they do):

http://consumerist.com/2008/12/22/amex-lowers-your-credit-limit-if-you-shop-where-deadbeats-shop/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/gma-answers-credit-card-companies-financially-profiling-customers/s...

http://voices.yahoo.com/dont-american-express-card-wal-mart-and-2084405.html

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 32 of 36
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@Networth wrote:

I do apologise if my statement on that seemed political or stereotypical, it was not meant to be politically conversational, just the best way to sum up the type of places to avoid using your Amex if you haven't made a habit of it before.

And to source what I'm saying (a practice American Express acknowledges they do):

http://consumerist.com/2008/12/22/amex-lowers-your-credit-limit-if-you-shop-where-deadbeats-shop/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/TheLaw/gma-answers-credit-card-companies-financially-profiling-customers/s...

http://voices.yahoo.com/dont-american-express-card-wal-mart-and-2084405.html

I understand, it was just a friendly reminder Smiley Happy

All three of those links are from 2008 and 2009, when every lender was cutting limits for various reasons. Remember, that was at the worst of our recession. It is a valid point that they used to do it though but when have you heard about it since?

Message 33 of 36
nyancat
Established Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

All three of those links are from 2008 and 2009, when every lender was cutting limits for various reasons. Remember, that was at the worst of our recession. It is a valid point that they used to do it though but when have you heard about it since?

I haven't heard about it since, but I've also heard nothing indicating they've stopped.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 34 of 36
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@nyancat wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

I haven't heard about it since, but I've also heard nothing indicating they've stopped.

I can agree with with. It could very well be the case that nothinig was published if they revoked that practice. It also wouldn't be news worthy I guess since it is good news, lol. 

Either way, if they are still doing it, they are VERY rarely doing it because you know the minute it happens, the person will jump on one of the forums and tell everyone about it Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 36
nyancat
Established Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

I can agree with with. It could very well be the case that nothinig was published if they revoked that practice. It also wouldn't be news worthy I guess since it is good news, lol. 

Either way, if they are still doing it, they are VERY rarely doing it because you know the minute it happens, the person will jump on one of the forums and tell everyone about it Smiley Very Happy

Excellent point!

Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.