Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new card recommendations

tag
TTR79
Established Member

new card recommendations

Alright, so my intro apr periods are going to be finished soon.  I want to always have a card with a 0% apr on me just in case something comes up and I need it (or want to buy something i don't need :-) ). Anyway....I currently have the discover it, chase freedom, mastercard from my bank and a usaa amex.  the discover and chase are the only two that get regular use.  When i apped for these cards last summer my credit score was sub 700, probably right around the 675 mark, mostly due to inquiries for my jeep and a home loan the previous fall.  I haven't checked all scores but I do get my fico on my discover statement which is around 750 (TU i think??) Anyway, give me some recommendations.  When I apped last summer I was turned down for the AMEX BCP, do i have a good chance for that now or are the better cards out there at this time.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Re: new card recommendations

@TTR79 wrote:

Alright, so my intro apr periods are going to be finished soon.  I want to always have a card with a 0% apr on me just in case something comes up and I need it (or want to buy something i don't need :-) ). Anyway....I currently have the discover it, chase freedom, mastercard from my bank and a usaa amex.  the discover and chase are the only two that get regular use.  When i apped for these cards last summer my credit score was sub 700, probably right around the 675 mark, mostly due to inquiries for my jeep and a home loan the previous fall.  I haven't checked all scores but I do get my fico on my discover statement which is around 750 (TU i think??) Anyway, give me some recommendations.  When I apped last summer I was turned down for the AMEX BCP, do i have a good chance for that now or are the better cards out there at this time.  Thanks in advance.

If it's been a year, then you probably have a good chance at anything honestly (if your score is 750).  Now, what is the best card for you?  That's hard to answer with your limited information - but the Chase Sapphire Preferred makes a good companion card to the Freedom if you like to travel AND you put enough spend on both the Freedom and CSP to justify the CSP's $95 annual fee.

If you want the BCP then go app for it, you've waited a year, I don't think waiting any longer will help you as far as approval goes.

Message 2 of 8
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I don't see why you want to keep getting 0% intro apr's when you say you don't need them. When you DO need them in the future, you won't have any good cards left to apply for!

In my opinion, and someone will have the opposite viewpoint I'm sure, you maintain your good credit score so that in the future when you need something you don't have, whether that is a long 0% intro apr, or whether its a card with good unlimited cash back on restaurants, etc, you will be able to apply for one at the time you need it.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 8
TTR79
Established Member

OK, I'm finally getting around to replying here. I appreciate the responses. I realize that sometimes +especially here at MFF+ it's hard to give a straight answer without giving info or advice that wasn't necessarily asked for. No biggie, I'm a member of quite a few forums around these interwebz, so I tend to see it often. Anyway....in response to the second comment, I DO need an no interest card. I have recurring things ( personal, that I don't plan on bringing up here) but thanks anyway for the fatherly/motherly advice. Now.....y'all have a blessed day.
Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Citi Double Cash - We have not always been seeing the highest credit lines on approval but they seem to be VERY GOOD at manual reviewing CLI requests as soon as you get the account and set it up online... does cost you another HP but worth it in most cases as long as you ask for enough, I always say $25k and let them counter!)

it's 0% for 18 months I believe and the good part is you would still earn your 1% during charge and 1% as you paid it off down the road!

Message 5 of 8
TTR79
Established Member

Thanks!! I actually finally got around to apping for a couple cards last night. The Double Cash was one if them. They approved me for 5700, not my best but not bad either. Also, got approved for the Amex BCP, gonna be my grocery card!!
Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@TTR79 wrote:
Thanks!! I actually finally got around to apping for a couple cards last night. The Double Cash was one if them. They approved me for 5700, not my best but not bad either. Also, got approved for the Amex BCP, gonna be my grocery card!!

I would highly suggest putting in a credit line increase as soon as you get the double cash and get it set up online... my friend was approved for $3600 and put in for a CLI to $15k (I coudln't convince him to ask for $25k) next morning he was approved for the full $15k... someone else on the board was thinking of asking for $20k but again thought that was to much and asked for $15k also and it was approved next day!

Message 7 of 8
TTR79
Established Member

I may do that when I get the card!! Thanks for the heads up!!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.